Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty >

04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty

Notices

04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty

Old 02-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty

took my 04 powerstroke to ford dealer because it was spitting and sputtering, and putting out alot of smoke at take off, after a week they said they did not have a technician that was able to fix it, then had to have it hauled to another dealer and they have had it 3 days, saying they had to take the motor out to look at heads, and it could be another 2 weeks to fix, does the edge chip hurt the motor and does it have anything to do with the warranty.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: 04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty

Under no circumstances should you tell your dealer your running a aftermarket programmer. If the work hasn't started yet and the programmer is still on it go get the truck and remove any evidence of it. Ford has had MAJOR problems with the 6.0 motors and they have come to the conclusion the programmers are causing them (last I heard they had replaced 14,000 motors in last few years). They now will VOID any drivetrain warranty if they find evidence of a aftermarket controller and they enter this info into their system tied to your vin number.As to wether or not the controllers are actually hurting the motors I don't know.I read a very exstensive thread on this where someone was tring to get ford to do a buyback on their truck and not only did they refuse,they voided the trucks warranty and refused to repair the motor unless customer paid. Customer sued them using the "magnus-moss act" which is really meant to keep your warranty from being voided if you use non-oem lubricants or replacement parts that meet oem requirements/specs. Customer LOST,Ford spent BIG money defending themselves and has taken a very aggressive/firm stance. Most these programmer companys claim you have protection under the magnus-moss act but they aren't exactly showing up with a team of lawyers to defend guys when their trucks break and are skrewed. Just a heads up,Smitty
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out www.thedieselgarage.com for lots of info about the 6.0. I have a SCT tune programer on my 04 dually. Wth it you can reprogram the factory tune back to stock. Ford is not suppose to be able to track it. My 6.0 liter dynoed at the rear wheels at 394 h.p. with stock straight exhaust and SCT race tune. I drive it every day and it will blow the doors off of GT mustangs. It puts the fun back in driving a big old dually.They really are a good engine, but they are blowing head gaskets occasionally which is no big deal, except you have to pull cab off , or pull the front clip off.
Its a big job, but once you get the really Kool stuff (new studs, fire rings,) the engine is almost unbreakable. Ford just need to stand up to the plate and do it right when they build this engine. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain38
Check out www.thedieselgarage.com for lots of info about the 6.0. I have a SCT tune programer on my 04 dually. Wth it you can reprogram the factory tune back to stock. Ford is not suppose to be able to track it. My 6.0 liter dynoed at the rear wheels at 394 h.p. with stock straight exhaust and SCT race tune. I drive it every day and it will blow the doors off of GT mustangs. It puts the fun back in driving a big old dually.They really are a good engine, but they are blowing head gaskets occasionally which is no big deal, except you have to pull cab off , or pull the front clip off.
Its a big job, but once you get the really Kool stuff (new studs, fire rings,) the engine is almost unbreakable. Ford just need to stand up to the plate and do it right when they build this engine. Just my .02
After you return the truck to the stock tune, you must go thru 4-5 drive cycles to erase the computer's memory that a performance file was written to it.
This happens on all 6.0L Powerstrokes 2004 and newer.
A module like an Edge does not leave a footprint because it does not reprogram the computer. Just removing the module is all you have to do.
As for Ford, they know the 6.0L Powerstroke is piece of junk. They just can't afford(or have the knowledge) to fix it.
They have been attempting to replace this engine since 2003 when is was released.

I hope the new 6.4L Powerstroke is a good as the 7.3L was!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PMTCHIPS
After you return the truck to the stock tune, you must go thru 4-5 drive cycles to erase the computer's memory that a performance file was written to it.
This happens on all 6.0L Powerstrokes 2004 and newer.
A module like an Edge does not leave a footprint because it does not reprogram the computer. Just removing the module is all you have to do.
would i need to do that for an 03 ?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PMTCHIPS
As for Ford, they know the 6.0L Powerstroke is piece of junk. They just can't afford(or have the knowledge) to fix it.
They have been attempting to replace this engine since 2003 when is was released.

I hope the new 6.4L Powerstroke is a good as the 7.3L was!

Nice to know as that is what is in my truck and it too has been back for idling problems.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my 6.0 is acting the same way,stumbling,,, then a ton on blue smoke .

I give it gas it just hangs there before it accelerates, thats when the smike comes.

I figure it cant be good !!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless the Edge Chip meets FORD OEM Specs, you're warranty is out the window. Magnusson-Moss won't help you either, because that only applies to replacement items that DO meet or exceed Ford Specs(like oils, filters, brakes, etc.).

Chipping and programming are "Non-Factory-Supported modifications," and can't be considered "replacement parts."

Make sure they don't find out about it !!!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:36 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Would an EGT and Boost sensors be considered proof?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
Would an EGT and Boost sensors be considered proof?
if you convinced them you just installed gauges you might be okay... but those are the tell-tale signs of a controller...

Quick Reply: 04 ford 6.0 deisel problem does chip void warranty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.