Notices

Towing capacity question??????

Old 04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing capacity question??????

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
A smaller boat or a dock.
Well, you're a hoot. Thanks for the smaller boat advice. As for the dock - I already have a 12,000 Hydrohoist on the canal behind the house with 215 feet of dock. I don't tow much hence the question. If your tired of giving your opinion given your obvious vast knowledge, why not - just not?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
If you do it you better baby it because most these f-150's have 4r70w transmissions and 355 gears. Alot of the transmission jobs I do are on vehicles like this that have been fine for 60 or 80 thousand miles. A guy decides to haul a bobcat on a new holland trailer once (10 or 12 thousand pounds) and trans goes up in smoke 500 miles later. I wouldn't do it,these new 1/2 tons don't seem to have "extra" capacity beyond there ratings like they did years ago. I had to tow my Baja 272 (about 7500lbs with trailer and fuel) with my buddies 01 1/2 ton silverado a few years ago for 300 miles and it felt like it was killing it,it spent as much time in 2nd gear as it did in 3rd at 70 mph. The fords seem the same with 3.55 gears,Smitty
Thanks. An intelligent response.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

You're my kind of guy.

My advice to everyone who tows over-limit- please, for the sake of all humanity, take all your offspring with you when you do it. With any luck, you'll help remove this defective strain from the gene pool when the bow of your oversized monster boat pierces the cab of the K-car you're towing it with. To enjoy the full effect, please make sure to top off all your tanks- boat and tow vehicle.
The purpose to asking a question is to hear intelligent, reponses. If you don't know, thats what you do. If you get the facts and then screw up you're a jerk. If you slam guys asking questions then you are the jerk.

Last edited by nolimits; 04-05-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
For my 38 Fountain, the Myco trailer is the steel one, tripple wheels with disc brakes triggered by surge. I keep hearing how these newer trailers tow so well. Looks like it will stop a train. My tow needs will be limited to 12 or less tripps a year. Most trips are under 5 miles with a few being 10 -15 miles. All local driving, 45 mph or less. The thought of driving an F350 diesel all year long for these needs seems over the top. I would hire someone to do it, but it's not convient. Poker runs and fun runs start and stop when they do. I don't want to be on someone else's schedule. Anyway, why doesn't a Tahoe which does 8500lbs or an F150 which does 9500 lbs work? I am not trying to be dense, I understand if I get into an accident I am at risk and I understand it's hard on the truck. I guess I am asking how hard is hard? Is the 4x4 going to blow pulling it up the ramp? Is it going to come around on me at 45 mph? The guy at the chevy and ford dealer thought I could get away with less. Thoughts????
Did you stop and read this nonsense before you posted it?

I'll make it simple-

If you tow with an under-rated vehicle your chances of having a serious incident grow exponentially. If you could remove all external effects such as other drivers and acts of nature, your chances might improve but since that's not going to ever happen, let's stop $hitting ourselves. No one cares about your fuel mileage or your wear and tear. We're worried that while you're daydreaming someone next to you swerves and you instinctively react. Then your mushy, undersized marshmallow truck is about to become a passenger getting tugged along by an unguided misile- the boat that's hooked to it that weighs 3 times what the truck does. Maybe you get lucky and survive the roll-over but maybe you didn't get really lucky and you killed some poor slobs wife and kid. All because having your toy pulled at the exact minute you wished it to be somewhere but couldn't "wasn't convenient". God forbid your urges can't be delayed by "someone else's schedule". You're a busy, important fellow so fuc& everyone else, right?

OK, so you lived. Now you get to hear about the millions in liability that your insurer says NO to. Then, if we're all lucky, you'll get to endure a negligent homicide trial- one at which I pray I get to be a juror at.

But hey, don't sweat it. You're not going far and you're going to be careful, right?

P.S. How hard is hard? Maybe you cellmate can clue you in on that one.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM

An Analogy:

Hey guys!

I need an opinion here. I'm thinking about boning my neighbor's daughter. She's only 12 but she LOOKS older. She's real mature too. I figure she's able to decide for herself and since she's always over here talking to me, I'm guessing she's up for it. I'm not going to stick it all the way in and I plan to be gentle. I'll pull out, too. This should be OK, right?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Did you stop and read this nonsense before you posted it?

I'll make it simple-

If you tow with an under-rated vehicle your chances of having a serious incident grow exponentially. If you could remove all external effects such as other drivers and acts of nature, your chances might improve but since that's not going to ever happen, let's stop $hitting ourselves. No one cares about your fuel mileage or your wear and tear. We're worried that while you're daydreaming someone next to you swerves and you instinctively react. Then your mushy, undersized marshmallow truck is about to become a passenger getting tugged along by an unguided misile- the boat that's hooked to it that weighs 3 times what the truck does. Maybe you get lucky and survive the roll-over but maybe you didn't get really lucky and you killed some poor slobs wife and kid. All because having your toy pulled at the exact minute you wished it to be somewhere but couldn't "wasn't convenient". God forbid your urges can't be delayed by "someone else's schedule". You're a busy, important fellow so fuc& everyone else, right?

OK, so you lived. Now you get to hear about the millions in liability that your insurer says NO to. Then, if we're all lucky, you'll get to endure a negligent homicide trial- one at which I pray I get to be a juror at.

But hey, don't sweat it. You're not going far and you're going to be careful, right?

P.S. How hard is hard? Maybe you cellmate can clue you in on that one.
Yes I read it, I also wrote it. After hearing what I heard at the dealers, I thought sounded odd. So I came here to hear what knowledgable people had to say. Hence the purpose of asking a question. Thats the smart thing to do. All you are doing is ranting.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

An Analogy:

Hey guys!

I need an opinion here. I'm thinking about boning my neighbor's daughter. She's only 12 but she LOOKS older. She's real mature too. I figure she's able to decide for herself and since she's always over here talking to me, I'm guessing she's up for it. I'm not going to stick it all the way in and I plan to be gentle. I'll pull out, too. This should be OK, right?

Did you already do it? Maybe we could be the cellmates you mentioned earlier.

This thread is dead, nice kill...

Last edited by nolimits; 04-05-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by nolimits
The purpose to asking a question is to hear intelligent, reponses. If you don't know, thats what you do. If you get the facts and then screw up you're a jerk. If you slam guys asking questions then you are the jerk.

Bull$hit.

This is every week in this section.

Damn near every one of these "can I" posts is filled with strong indicators that these people know what they want to do is wrong. They all have the same load of $hit.

"I know the engineers under-rate"
"Not going far"
"Going to be really careful"
"We used to do it..."

After a while, you'd think people would catch on. Funny thing is that at least half the time, they get pi$$ed when you tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Besides, how does someone attain the wealth necessary to acquire a 12,000 pound offshore boat yet lack the basic intelligence to compare it's weight against their vehicle's towing capacity without enlisting all of our help? It's pretty simple- if the one number is smaller than the other, it's OK. If it's bigger, it's not. If you have to ask which number is which.....

No, I'm sorry. These people need to be slapped.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bull$hit.

This is every week in this section.

Damn near every one of these "can I" posts is filled with strong indicators that these people know what they want to do is wrong. They all have the same load of $hit.

"I know the engineers under-rate"
"Not going far"
"Going to be really careful"
"We used to do it..."

After a while, you'd think people would catch on. Funny thing is that at least half the time, they get pi$$ed when you tell them what they are doing is wrong.

Besides, how does someone attain the wealth necessary to acquire a 12,000 pound offshore boat yet lack the basic intelligence to compare it's weight against their vehicle's towing capacity without enlisting all of our help? It's pretty simple- if the one number is smaller than the other, it's OK. If it's bigger, it's not. If you have to ask which number is which.....

No, I'm sorry. These people need to be slapped.
I think you slapped to quick here. I think you did not read what I wrote and therefore didn't get the context of my question. You were to quick to swing the hammer. I post all the time. I haven't read those threads as it's not been an issue for me ( you'd have known that if you read what I wrote ). Don't confuse how often you feel you have to say something with who is asking the question.

Last edited by nolimits; 04-05-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Also, what you said isn't slapping, it's just unhelpful anger. Give facts and explain, thats what this board is for - Inteligent discourse. You have no clue who I am, or how I think.

Last edited by nolimits; 04-05-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing capacity question??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.