Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette >

Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette

Notices

Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette

Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette

All of this information is provided from a few visits to a certified scales location last Fall. The printouts are below.

Excursion V10 4x4 with 3.73 gears = 9,600 LBS is what you can trailer.
On this very light (1/4 tank in boat) day, we are 7,460 LBS Cigarette + trailer.
This is 78% of maximum capacity.

Excursion V10 4x4 with 3.73 gears = 17,000 LBS GCWR.
On this very light day, we are 15,100 LBS Excursion + Cigarette + Trailer.
This is 89% of maximum capacity.

If you add 90 gallons of fuel (+/- 540 Lbs) to top it off, 4 cases of your favorite beverage + 4 bags of ice, food (+/- 110 LBS) and then towels, clothes + whatever else. We are probably closer to 8,100 LBS.

That would be 84% of maximum capacity trailer capacity and 93% of GCWR.

So with just a 28 foot Cigarette with a single BBC and a tandem axle Loadmaster trailer, we are at the upper limits of ¾ ton Ford Excursion.

Do a reality check of what you’re pulling. How much does your anchor weigh? How much do all the lines weigh? How much do all the life jackets, safety equipment and any other gear you or the people you bring weigh? How much do the actual people that might be in your truck when you are pulling weigh? It adds up quick. If you don’t do the math now, your insurance company sure will when you get in an accident.

Just in case you are an Excursion owner reading this, if you had 4.10 gears or a diesel, this brings trailer capacity to 10,000 LBS and GCWR to 18,000LBS.
Attached Thumbnails Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette-excurion-only.jpg   Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette-excursion-trailer-only.jpg   Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette-excursion-trailer-cigarette.jpg  

Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing Reality Check: Excursion + Cigarette

More motor and bigger gears really help you stop and turn, too.

I did what you're suggesting at the end of last season. Once i took the time to guess what everything weighs and figure it out, i started dumping $$ into my setup. New truck, almost totally redoing the trailer. But i don't know where i can take my stuff to be weighed.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
More motor and bigger gears really help you stop and turn, too.

I did what you're suggesting at the end of last season. Once i took the time to guess what everything weighs and figure it out, i started dumping $$ into my setup. New truck, almost totally redoing the trailer. But i don't know where i can take my stuff to be weighed.
most big truck stops will have some cat scales nearby...
Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Like Sean H said, truck stops, or even weigh stations. Some you pay $5 and get in line with the 18 wheelers, or others stay on after hours and you just roll onto the scales. For piece of mind, have someone do it for you.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damdonzi
Like Sean H said, truck stops, or even weigh stations. Some you pay $5 and get in line with the 18 wheelers, or others stay on after hours and you just roll onto the scales. For piece of mind, have someone do it for you.
if your not legal or not sure and just want to find out what you weigh i would steer clear of a weigh station.... commercial or not they will shut you down if you aren't legal...
Old 04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a set around here, but they blocked them off after hours.

Dry weight on my boat is 5500, registration on the trailer says 1100. So 6600. 60 gallons of fuel, say 500 lbs. 100 lbs of beverages and ice. figure 200 lbs equipment. So say 7400. Everything is rated for 8000 now, so i should be good.

Except i went with a 12000 lb winch post. The tongue i bought didn't have a rating, but i did some math and it's overkill. Should be safe for a long distance tow now. Last year i had a pretty shaky (read: way overloaded) setup and i had to take it easy to mitigate risk (please keep all blasting in the other thread so i can more easily respond ).

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 04-06-2006 at 02:05 PM.