Notices

A word on factory warranties.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A word on factory warranties.

I am seeing some confusion with modding or upgrading your pulling rigs in regards to warranty. The Magnuson-Moss federal warranty act prohibits manufactures from "blanket voided warranties." They have to prove that what you did to that certain part of your truck was the procuring cause of failure of a certain part. This goes for engine mods to suspension lifts....anything. Don’t ever let some slick talking sales person or maintenance guy tell you otherwise. ITS THE LAW.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: A word on factory warranties.

This has been an ongoing topic on here for quite sometime. While I do feel strongly opposite of what some do here on this subject, I do agree with those that will follow up behind me and say simply "it's not that easy".

We are all aware of what the law is. How it is interpreted is not up to us though. That is where the problem lies. Not many people have deep enough pockets to make their point in court. Those that have haven't been very lucky.

Being in the automotive aftermarket for a living this subject lies close to my heart. I truly wish it could be that easy.

Buck
Old 05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

[QUOTE=tblrklakemo]I am seeing some confusion with modding or upgrading your pulling rigs in regards to warranty. The Magnuson-Moss federal warranty act prohibits manufactures from "blanket voided warranties." They have to prove that what you did to that certain part of your truck was the procuring cause of failure of a certain part. This goes for engine mods to suspension lifts....anything. Don’t ever let some slick talking sales person or maintenance guy tell you otherwise. ITS THE LAW.[/QUOTE
Tell that to the guy who spent thousands suing Ford over his diesel truck engine warranty claim only to have Ford spend 50,000$ plus on the best team of lawyers they could find to squash him like a bug. He lost,the OEM'S won,they are playing hardball,especially FOMOCO. I have read the M/M act,its main purpose was to keep oem's from voiding your warr if you use a non-oem but oem min spec replacement part unless they provide the part for free,Smitty
Old 05-19-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's an old saying- "It's better to be a defendant than a plaintiff".

All Ford (or anyone else) has to do is say no. It costs them nothing. You then get to go and start spending $225 an hour on attorneys.

Beyond that- do you really believe you have the right to have Ford pay for damage done to your vehicle that results from a modification that increases the power output beyond its engineered specification?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:32 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very true...craking open the engine is playing hard ball. But when you are tlking about two completely unrelated parts you sould be in the know. I have heard about guys spending loads on lawyers (ironically involving diesel trucks) and came away as the loser, but on the flip side i have heard of others who won and the auto manf. paid lawyer fees. If you are running mega boost in your otherwise stock engine, you should know when something breaks the mechanic is going WTF. The only reason i started this thread is b/c i read someone elses post who questioned the warranty aspect and it made me think of this jackass sales guy at a local GMC dealer i spoke with. I stopped to look at a set of wheels on a traded in truck....he comes out and says that if i dont buy GM wheels i will void the truck warranty. I asked if the wheels would void the rear view mirror motor warranty and he said "the whole thing." Jackass needs to learn.