Notices

HELP!!! on 99 suburban

Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! on 99 suburban

Ok guys, I'm in a bind. My Suburban crapped out on me Sunday morning in Defuniak Springs, Florida. I'm 650 miles from home and I had to have the truck and boat towed. I rented a car to get home and I need to figure out what happened to the Suburban so I can get all my chit back home.
Here's what I found:
ECM-1 fuse was blown. Owners manual say, injectors ECM/VCM.
I unplugged the ECM, fuel pump and the fuel pump relay and it still blows the fuse when you turn the key on.
I'm lost... I've look at everything that i could think of and I don't see any burned wires or any wires that are grounded. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help guy, LF
Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! on 99 suburban

5.7L or 7.4L

Shoot a PM to R'Addiction. He might can help with some remote TS'ing ideas.

FYI, AAA has Truck and Trailer towing coverage under their RV plan.
Depending on your boat size, you might be able to get a P/U from Enterprise Rental to get the boat home in a bind. They do rent bigger vehicles at some locations; especially Florida. Might also check with the local dealers too; as sometimes they do the same.

Being 650 miles from home, I might just take it to a Chevy dealer. It won't be the cheapest, but at least they should be able to narrow down the trouble the quickest, and not rake you over the coals with trial and error like a mom & pop shop might.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
5.7L or 7.4L

Shoot a PM to R'Addiction. He might can help with some remote TS'ing ideas.

FYI, AAA has Truck and Trailer towing coverage under their RV plan.
Depending on your boat size, you might be able to get a P/U from Enterprise Rental to get the boat home in a bind. They do rent bigger vehicles at some locations; especially Florida. Might also check with the local dealers too; as sometimes they do the same.

Being 650 miles from home, I might just take it to a Chevy dealer. It won't be the cheapest, but at least they should be able to narrow down the trouble the quickest, and not rake you over the coals with trial and error like a mom & pop shop might.
Thanks for the reply. It has the 5.7. It is at a mom and pop shop now and I gave them till the end of the day to figure it out before I get it towed to the chevy dealer. I'll shoot R'Addiction a line and see what he says. Thanks, LF
Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a 99 suburban, how maney miles on yours?
I have had some minor issues over the years.
ours has 80,000 miles, in the last 4 months we had to replace oil cooling lines, water pump and fuel pump.
good luck,
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Liquid, I just got home and out of the shower. I'll check for any similar cases and look over some wire diagrams. Sorry didn't get back to ya sooner late night on the shop. Stay tuned
Old 06-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered

If I had to take a guess, ignition switch or wire shorted where they pass throught the firewall. Take it to a dealer though, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by comp
I have a 99 suburban, how maney miles on yours?
I have had some minor issues over the years.
ours has 80,000 miles, in the last 4 months we had to replace oil cooling lines, water pump and fuel pump.
good luck,

Mine has 120,000 and i've replaced cap, rotor and plugs in the last 2000 miles or so and that's been it so far. It's been a good 4x4 but this may be the end of the line..... I see a 4x4 4 door Cummins Dodge in my near future.....
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Liquid, I just got home and out of the shower. I'll check for any similar cases and look over some wire diagrams. Sorry didn't get back to ya sooner late night on the shop. Stay tuned

Thanks R'Addiction, any help would be great. LF
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by steve1k99
If I had to take a guess, ignition switch or wire shorted where they pass throught the firewall. Take it to a dealer though, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Your probably right. What sucks about it is i'm 650 miles away and don't have the control over it that I would like....
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Any Codes set?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! on 99 suburban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.