Notices

Trailer Wheel Bearing Question

Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wheel Bearing Question

I have a 2002 Alum. I beam tri axle trailer. Trailer was sold by Amercian. But looks just like a Next trail. Same axles and hardware.

I keep having problems with the bearing grease shooting out of the center of the hubs and getting all over the rims.

What could cause the bearings to get this hot. This happens on short trip as well as long trips.

The trailer has the rubber seals to hold the grease in but those get blown out and grease leaks out all over.

My boat is only about 7500 loaded. The trailer weighs 1900.

Also where can I get replacement wheel bearings?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Question

I've got some of the same issues and same questions .... hmmmmm
Old 06-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two suggestions:

Are your brake pads adjusted properly? Sometimes if they drag just too much, they will heat up the wheel and cause the grease to splay out.

Possible yuo are dislodging the round spring on the inner aspect of the seal when you remount the hub? I did this on a remount and caused the grease to splay out too.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am assuming your talking about EZ lube axles with the bearing caps and the little rubber caps in the center? If so, too much grease will make em puff out. I wipe down the inside of the housings after I grease em. All of mine have been switched to Amsoil synthetic. Waterproof, and they run measurably cooler then with dino grease...
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Wheel Bearing Question-ezlube2.gif  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott's past suggestion of using the Amsoil Syn Grease . saved me this wk. end.
Outer dust cap flew off on highway. A couple hrs. later pull into rest area and see grease still in hub.Some did fly around but most was still in there. Cut down rubber Hitch ball cover and put over hub. All set for travel.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gwr.aspx
Another possibility. You aren't pushing the grease past the rear seals by overloading the brgs. with grease gun also ?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Question

I just had a similar problem.My bearing buddies were popping off spewing grease all over the rim.Once the grease came out the bearing smoked and we lost the use of that tire and rim.We pulled over and jacked the trailer and removed the tire.Upon replacing the bearings re greasing and new bearing buddies we started again to only have the same thing happen.WTF.

Talked with the trailer shop they told me too much grease.This was not true!! When re installing the bearing buddies we did not fill the back of the bearing buddy and when we hammered them into the hub we created a huge air pocket.once they got hot pop no more bearing buddy.

Before reinstalling take the grease gun and fill the rotor with grease around bearings,then take a putty knife and pack grease into the bearing buddy.This will eliminate the air pocket.If you read the instructions on the bearing buddies,they say there is a relief valve to prevent over greasing Not true.On larger trailers like mine the spring barely moves because its stiff.Hope this helps so far no problems.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Registered

The overpressure "relief valve" is just a hole in the moving part tha grease comes out of when you fill it up to much.. The axle hub is filled with grease until the grease forces the Bearing Buddy piston outward about 1/8 inch. Because the piston is spring loaded, the piston exerts a slight (3 psi) pressure against the grease, which maintains a slight pressure between the inside of the hub and the outside environment. When the hub is submerged, water cannot enter the hub because of this pressure. Lubricant level (and pressure) can be checked quickly by pressing on the edge of the moveable piston. If you can rock or move the piston, the hub is properly filled.

IMO, the biggest drawback to BB's is they do not fill the bearings and cavity from behind, but instead try and force grease back through the cavity to the rear seal area. The only place for the grease to go is out the rear seal.. I hand pack the bearings before the install, and then fill the cavity by hand afterwards before installing the BB on the hub.. Then fill it and you are good to go..

With the EZLube's, the old grease gets forced to the front by the new grease. I kinda like the idea of flushing the old grease out...
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Wheel Bearing Question-cutaway.gif  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Registered

Oh, in reference to the original question: Bearings can be purchased at any good bearing house.. Get Timken's, stay away from the chinese crap... Part numbers will be on the cones and races you have now...