Notices

Firestone Air Lift Air Bags

Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Air Lift Air Bags

Gentlemen, I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 2500 that I use to tow a 31 Sonic. I guesstimate the total boat/trailer/gear weight to be around 10,000 lbs. When hooked on the truck the rear end sags a couple inches lower than I'd like. Will the Air Lift Air Bags solve my concern? If so, how much do they cost, where's the best place to buy them, are they easy to install or where's a "good" place to have them installed?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Firestone Air Lift Air Bags

I had the Air-Lift brand on my 2500 Avalanche and they worked like a charm.

Here are some tips:

Definately have them installed with separate air fills for each side; much safer this way. If you are turning with a load in the back of the truck, and you have a single fill nozzle for both bags, the air can transfer from one side to the other, and cause serious handling issues.

With a little planned routing, you can make the air fill nozzles your upper license plate bolts. I drilled out my license plate holes a bit, and removed the plastic screw recievers for the plate, and had mine installed there. It looks trick and works great; with easy access. All I got was compliments on this setup.

I don't think the on board air compressor is necessary, and its expensive. with a lot more involved install. I just ran my truck all the time with about 85 lbs. in each bag. Over the winter when not towing, I left them at 30 lbs.

Expect to pay about $200 for the bags, not including install. I had mine done on my last two trucks for $300 out the door installed, via a good friend here on OSO. If you have the time and ability to drill the frame, and remove the rear wheels, go ahead and install them yourself. Otherwise, I would only have them installed by a 4x4 specialty shop or RV/Towing shop that has done this before.

Buck183 can get them for you.

If you are anywhere near VA; I can point you to Outlaw Motorsports in Culpeper, VA, who can get them for you. Ask for Mark. He is a good friend, and an OSO member (OutlawMark). You can tell him I sent you. 540-829-0300 He can also get the the rear wheel spacers for you. I will reiterate that going away from the stock 6.5" wide wheel up to a 17x8 or 16x8 wheel will drastically improve your handling, both towing and not towing. You can easily fit a 265 series E-load rated tire on there; might need to crank the front torsion bars up a notch or two. I went back to my stock wheels/tires for a long weekend tow from my 16x8 ARE wheels and Cooper D-rated tires. It REALLY sucked ass. I sold them immediately afterward. I had 17x8 Helo Maxx8 Wheels and BFG Rugged Trail E-load rated tires on there when I sold it.

I speak from experience. I had my 2500 Avalanche completely tweaked for towing performance as I was towing 12K lbs.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-20-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Airbags=money well spent, truck will tow totally different and safer.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les Schwab Tires or most Firestone Tire and Service stores can install.
One of my bags failed on by 2500 and was quoted by LS full install of firestorne bags p&s = $460.00 in NorCal.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Registered

Summit Racing sells them. Got mine have not installed yet.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Registered

Ive installed air bags with on-board compressors in 2 trucks, 1 a dually and the other a single wheel Super Duty, they TOTALLY screw the ride of the truck when unladen, even with just 10lbs of air they seem to preload the springs and crap out the ride, my last Ford{05 F-250} I installed a Kelderman air bag system on the rear suspension, thats the ticket if you want to keep ride quality, only downfall is $$$,,my $.02
Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work GREAT on my F350. I have about 5000 miles with them now and wish I had done it a lot sooner.

The wife says the truck rides better with them.