Notices

Trailer bearing rebuilds

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amsoil might cure cancer but it's no substitute for regular maintenance and inspection. Done properly and frequently, the cheapest marine-rated bearing grease will work wonders. neglected, nothing works very well ( good grease may give you a little margin of error- don't depend on it)

Trailer bearings are out of sight, out of mind for most folks until something goes wrong.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a big fan of Mystic JT-6.

I have had drum brake issues that have led to so much heat into the spindle/wheel/tire that you COULD NOT touch the sidewall of the tire (think about the heat in the drum/hub and transfered to the spindle), and it would take 20-30 minutes of cool down 'till you could even lay your hand. Not once, but a few times over.
One thing I found is that you have to be more sensitive to the feel of the pull, because with a diesel on the interstate, you can have some brake drag and not realize it unless your paying CLOSE attention to the feel.
The mystic while runny, was not burnt, maintained a slightly darker version of it's original color, and kept my bearings and races alive. I know this because I've had them apart and seen all like new.
After any of these incidents I simple pushed all the "tortured" JT-6 out with new (E-Z lube spindles)
and off I go with no ill effects, other than I am replacing the 6-7 year old tires that are weather checked on the sidewalls near the beads from age and ozone, and have seen several episodes of this rediculous heat cycling.

how's that for a real world endorsement?
I buy it buy the case.

Last edited by Rippem; 04-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted $60 per wheel to have bearings repacked at a trailer shop.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
I was quoted $60 per wheel to have bearings repacked at a trailer shop.
$360 + tax for a triple axle...

TO GREASE THE BEARINGS??

HOLY CHIT!

I could do 3 trailers a day with lots of coffee and donut time...

time for a career change

Last edited by Rippem; 04-05-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
You shouldn't use that grease on wheel bearings, main reason being, the GHD is a "slow moving grease" more for pivot joints and slide pins, things like that. You should use the GWR, Water Resistant Grease AMSOIL offers, that can't be beat, I don't care what anyone says!
sorry to get you going just my opinion and years of dumb luck 26 years of it from pentwater MI to FL running I 75 at speed limit
Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with Chris. Part of my routine every fall before the boat goes to bed for the winter. Pull all the tires/wheels, clean all the bearings/races. Inspect the bearings for heat damage, replace if required. Repack, install new seals and put back together. Check/ replace disc brake pads, put back together including tire rotation. Major PIA but never on the side of the road with a bad bearing. Oh, I also crawl around under the boat and inspect the trailer.
Dave
Old 04-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rippem,
I think he said $60.00 to repack bearings not just grease. Like thru the bearing buddy? If you use say $60.00 per hour as shop time I think $60.00 per wheel is cheap. It takes me more than 1 hr. per wheel to do mine. But I like to do it myself mostly because I don't trust anyone with my stuff if I can do it.
Dave
Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Stotz
Rippem,
I think he said $60.00 to repack bearings not just grease. Like thru the bearing buddy? If you use say $60.00 per hour as shop time I think $60.00 per wheel is cheap. It takes me more than 1 hr. per wheel to do mine. But I like to do it myself mostly because I don't trust anyone with my stuff if I can do it.
Dave
Figure $8 for the seal.

I agree- DIY is the way to go, It's better to learn how to do this stuff in your own driveway than at night on an interstate. Plus, if the shop gives the job to some kid because "It's only a trailer..."
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by David Stotz
Rippem,
Dave

Dave I agree, I do my own as well for my own peace of mind. I hate doing it but I hate being on the side of the road even more...

I also carry two spare tires and a complete spare hub set up greased up and ready to go. Again a peace of mind...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

If anybody does need the bearings/seals/grease talk to Dock Holiday on this board, he hangs out in the Baja section in case somebody didn't know. I found it was kind of difficult to get the Timkens locally and had him ship me all the bearings, races, seals and 6 tubes of grease for a pretty reasonable price and quick turn-around.

It's that time of the year!

Quick Reply: Trailer bearing rebuilds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.