Notices

wheels, tires, lift???

Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: wheels, tires, lift???

Originally Posted by rude
i do use this truck to pull my boat with. from the sounds of it, i'm better off not to lift it and find a wheel/tire combination that will work without the lift. i hadn't thought about the braking issue by putting on larger tires and a lift. is it safe to assume that i would also lose some of the power because of the tire/wheel change?
I'd imagine that truck has 29" tires stock and 10" drum brakes in the rear. Probably has gearing somewhere in the 3.50 range. Stock, it probably wouldn't tow much over 5,000# with any level of security or comfort. Raising it any amount is going to make that worse, regardless of what other modifications you do. A 35" tire is 16% larger than a 29. That means you'll instantly lose 16% horsepower & torque and 16% less braking efficiency. That's going to equate to about 25% increase in stopping distance.

You can solve all these issues but it isn't cheap. It's probably not too feasable considering the age of the vehicle.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wheels, tires, lift???

thanx guys, i REALLY appreciate the input. if what you say is true about the power loss, i'm better off staying away from whole idea. the truck doesn't have that much power to spare i'll probably end up just doing a few power adders and keep saving for the DIESEL

thanx again for the help!!