Notices

New Low Sulpher Diesel ?

Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default New Low Sulpher Diesel ?

What does this mean to those of us with older diesel engines? Anything?

http://autos.aol.com/article/hybrid/...18142309990001

I already know that Ethanol 10% blended Gasoline makes my commuter car-1995 V6 w/ 130K miles run like crap. Do I have to worry about this with a 2000 7.3 PSD?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Low Sulpher Diesel ?

They went through that switch in Europe several years ago, didn't cause any major issues that I heard about.

On the plus side, you can hardly even smell the diesel fumes over there, sulphur is responsible for most of the smell apparently
Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washington state's oil refineries made the switch to the reformulated diesel this summer, causing a modest price hike that resulted in barely a blip as fuel prices began their recent, extended plunge.
Have driven with low sulpher diesel all summer and have not noticed any problems. Have noticed that we are still paying a prem. price for diesel fuel, $2.98 is cheapest price in my area..... Farm diesel has three or four times as much sulfur as on-road diesel and have put a couple of gallons when I almost ran out with the 6PSD Excursion, engine did'nt like it at all. So I'm worried about when they lower the sulpher for farm diesel....
Old 10-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My two cents the new diesel is gonna have less lubrication which will cause problems in the long run . I run lucas fuel additive in mine .
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LoSulph has way less lubricant- additives are a must. Those that don't can expect substantially reduced pump and injector life.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Registered

Do some searching around on the Internet, I heard the reduction in lubricity is less than 2% and the loss of power is about 1%. Here is the info I found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel

Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005. [3]

There may also be a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced fuel economy. To achieve the sulfur requirements for the new fuel standards, diesel manufacturers include an additive to keep the fuel flowing smoothly, and to prevent engine damage. A relatively cheap lubricious additive is biodiesel.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

brian i ask cummins a bout it and they said the biggest thing is seals . in the injection pump and engine .
Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

bio desel is the stuff. i've got a friend running 100% in his ford desel and so far no problems .. i have seen, it felt it on my fingers and it is slick as elel **** . it can't help but work . i like it going to try it soon robbie.