Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
'99 Burb Vibration - I'm stumped!!! >

'99 Burb Vibration - I'm stumped!!!

Notices

'99 Burb Vibration - I'm stumped!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: '99 Burb Vibration - I'm stumped!!!

Originally Posted by Rippem
touche'

though how much would cause a vibe (only at higher speeds) and how much would show in tire wear? especially rears? I think there is a thin line there.
You're like a dog on a bone!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Registered

BTW like my new avatar?
No, it's creeping me out!!!

Actually, I don't know whats more embarrassing, Axa having to view himself in that get-up,,,,,,,,,, or you having a picture of another guy as your avatar.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
or you having a picture of another guy as your avatar.

homophobe
Old 10-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bud going through the very same thing right now. I say t/c or xfer case , did the u joints . New tires . I'll see and report as we get there.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hunster
I have a bud going through the very same thing right now. I say t/c or xfer case , did the u joints . New tires . I'll see and report as we get there.
Thanks Hunster, appreciate knowing anything you guys find.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

homophobe
No,,,,,,,,,, I'm not afraid of you two homos at all.

Ok Randolph, we're devolving my serious vibration thread into another "Boathouse Ballbust".

I declaire a cease fire, right now.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 10-24-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Registered

OK but I still say any thing driveline out of whack enough to cause the vibe would've destructed itself in 75,000 miles

maybe it will tomorrow and you'll have your answer.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 93 and my 99 both did the same thing

took me a year, 2 sets of tires and wheels, 4 tire balance shops, 1 set of drums, 2 axles, posi unit, just to figure it out on the 93, then found the cure by coincidence one day, with a real sharp friend of mine helping me do it myself...

fixed the 99 in 1 hour doing the same thing

it's the rear brake drums

the drums have to be balanced ON THE TRUCK using a strobe balancer, and using a drill with 5/16" drill bit, you drill multiple small holes 5/16 deep on the inside drum lip on the heavy side of the imbalance plane to zero balance the rotating ASSEMBLY, with the tires off, and ALL of the lug nuts in place, use the engine to get to the highest vibration point, and mark the strobe at that point. Have jackstands under the rear axle tubes to support the actual chassis weight under load

that'll fix it.

if it doesn't, it's the limited slip posi carrier out of balance, and there were a TON of them that were this way.. if your truck has the C6P option, it's one of those two scenarios, non C6P rear ends didn't do it.

Jim

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 10-24-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
My 93 and my 99 both did the same thing

took me a year, 2 sets of tires and wheels, 4 tire balance shops, 1 set of drums, 2 axles, posi unit, just to figure it out on the 93, then found the cure by coincidence one day, with a real sharp friend of mine helping me do it myself...

fixed the 99 in 1 hour doing the same thing

it's the rear brake drums

the drums have to be balanced ON THE TRUCK using a strobe balancer, and using a drill with 5/16" drill bit, you drill multiple small holes 5/16 deep on the inside drum lip on the heavy side of the imbalance plane to zero balance the rotating ASSEMBLY, with the tires off, and ALL of the lug nuts in place, use the engine to get to the highest vibration point, and mark the strobe at that point. Have jackstands under the rear axle tubes to support the actual chassis weight under load

that'll fix it.

if it doesn't, it's the limited slip posi carrier out of balance, and there were a TON of them that were this way.. if your truck has the C6P option, it's one of those two scenarios, non C6P rear ends didn't do it.

Jim
Well now,,,, there's some intersting input!! I was on the right path by replacing the drums thinking they were out of balance. They are huge so I suppose they could be the source if out of whack. This strobe deal sounds like I need a specialized shop to do this. Is that right or can I go buy a stobe balancer?

How do I know if I have a C6P rear end? It is a posi unit. I'd be inclined to think it's the rear end since I did replace the drums and it made zero difference, same vibration, same speeds, same magnitude. I would think different drums would change the vibration if they were the cause. Agree?

Thanks for the input Jim.

Last edited by ThirdBird; 10-24-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

look for C6P option code on the RPO sticker in the glovebox...

Quick Reply: '99 Burb Vibration - I'm stumped!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.