Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge >

Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge

Notices

Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge

Old 11-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge

mine get the **** run out of it every day no problems .
Old 11-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

I have a Ford, a GMC, and a Dodge. If you want a daily driver, buy the Chevy/GMC. If you want to keep it for 10-20 years, buy the Dodge. If you want to work on it all the time, buy the Ford.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered

byrd more to f!@#%% up with it . let me know when you have 600k miles on it i'll be working on 1 millon. we will see who is still running . and how maney parts you have bought vs my cunmmins . i know for a fact there is one local that has over 800k on it and he has NEAVER been in the motor .
Old 11-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a desiel mechanic and it is proven fact that if you want to go the distance always go with an inline configuation. Don't you think that if the V type was better they would be running it in all the big trucks . My father has a 04 Ram 2wd dually and we have no problem pulling the boat around or out of the ramps. Our 98 ram the only reason we had trouble was becuase we pumped the motor up so much it smoked the tires comming of a light pulling the boat. I have an 06 Ram 2wd, 4dr,HEMI with the 20's and it doesn't have a problem pulling my bud's T/G , just have not tried the ramp yet.
Attached Thumbnails Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge-new-truck-resized.bmp  
Old 11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fountain1fan
byrd more to f!@#%% up with it . let me know when you have 600k miles on it i'll be working on 1 millon. we will see who is still running . and how maney parts you have bought vs my cunmmins . i know for a fact there is one local that has over 800k on it and he has NEAVER been in the motor .
I will keep you posted...I am just making power out in the shop....I agree the dodge is a simple motor....good for mad miles....
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

So I hope all that BS clears things up for you and makes your decision easier

What do you want to do with the truck, run the 1/4 mile, or do you want a very fuel effecient motor that'll pull the boat anywhere you want to go, and is PROVEN to be the most reliable diesel engine in a pickup on the road?

I'm on my 5th dodge, latter two both with 48re automatics, and I haven't had any form of tranny failure that wasn't self induced.

BTW, the Dmax/Allison combo has the highest tranny failure of the big 3

Just because it has the Allison name on it doesn't mean much. I'll agree that it is a good tranny, but if you ask an Allison tech about it, they'll tell you its a GM detuned allison for cost savings.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

People are pro dodge cause of the cummins....thats all.....nothing else....allison helped kick start the gmc....I do not believe the trans comment....where did you get that.....the dodge trans and fords have been failing the whole time....Did ya see the size of a allison....makes all others look like toys...where did you get that failure rating??...And I have a 550g mile ford...6.9...never been IN motor......there all junk in my book....I will say this.....it is not easy to get to stuff on the d max but I have a tilt front end....that is off.....and still hard.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain1fan
wobble craw under you chey and look at you pos alum diff housing and 1.25 axel . then look under a dodge 2500 it's real easy to see whitch is the real truck .
appearently you have never seen the coupler the ingauges the 4wd in the dodge truck very small in compsrison to the outside look of the dana 60 any part is only as strong as the weakest part inside . how many ifs front ends from gm have you actually ever seen blow apart ? I abuse mine often and with 38 " tires ,never had any problems yet
Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by awesomecat26
appearently you have never seen the coupler the ingauges the 4wd in the dodge truck very small in compsrison to the outside look of the dana 60 any part is only as strong as the weakest part inside . how many ifs front ends from gm have you actually ever seen blow apart ? I abuse mine often and with 38 " tires ,never had any problems yet

Yes, the central axle disconnect is the weak link on every front axle without manual hubs. There is an upgrade from Dynatrac you can install on the Dodge trucks that replace the stock hubs with manual hubs and replaces the stock short shafts in the CAD with a one piece axle that is much stronger if you are really putting the truck through hell. I just sold my third Dodge and never had a problem out of the front end of any of them. I have also owned a couple Chevy 3/4 ton Suburbans (454 trucks) with the IFS and never had any problems out of them either. The only downside to the Chevy at that time was that they used a gas heat element to engage the front axle and in very cold climates, they took a while to engage. We replaced the stock unit with a manual cable type engagement and it was much better. All of the "Big Three" have their short comings. They also each have their strengths. I just purchased a 2005 F-250 to give Ford another chance. So far I really like it.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by StraightJacket
I have an 06 Ram 2wd, 4dr,HEMI with the 20's and it doesn't have a problem pulling my bud's
T/G , just have not tried the ramp yet.
They must've done a lot to that Hemi motor in two years then. The old man's 2004 4wd, 4 door, Hemi with 20's has a hell of a time pulling our TG up anything more than an ant hill. Granted, it's not rated to tow such a load, so I would expect that from the truck. It can do it, but man does she piss and moan about it.

Quick Reply: Questions on a 2006 GMC and Dodge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.