Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Lemon Law, anyone ever do it or have info? >

Lemon Law, anyone ever do it or have info?

Notices

Lemon Law, anyone ever do it or have info?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lemon Law, anyone ever do it or have info?

Lube:: I had three mid size cat engines (2000) after much research ,, we found that the electronic engines have several sensors that report to the computer (read fail safe or Gaurdian) ,,, the only people the understand these engines are Cat shops ,,, for get the dealer ,,, they have to go to Cat shops and put them on the dyno and computer at the same time ,,, Good luck,,

RHC
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RHC
they have to go to Cat shops and put them on the dyno and computer at the same time ,,, Good luck,,

RHC
Another point- you have 2 different type of CAT franchise shops. Hubs & satellites. The hub shops are big- they do rebuilds on heavy equipment, have dynos, usually have a large inventory of CAT equipment. The satellites are second-level shops- usually catering to just the truck and light equipment markets. You'll have much better luck with the big shop- they're usually located in big cities where 2 interstates intersect.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered

Was thinking of this thread when a freightliner pulled in to my shop this afternoon and I said to the driver , "leaving for key west in a couple hours?" He said yup , so I asked what I could do for him at the last minute. Fortunatly it was an easy one, the knucklehead at best buy that installed his sat radio couldn't even show him how to use it and you dont want to take that 20 hour drive without any country music!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked it up from the dealer for the 5th time. It was there since Sat night. I got 3.6 miles and it stalled. Same problem. They replaced the high presure oil pump which also fires the injectors. They assured me that was the problem. WRONG!! I also found out from my lawyer, the Lemon law is for vehicles under 10,000 lbs. I'm excluded!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Just picked it up from the dealer for the 5th time. It was there since Sat night. I got 3.6 miles and it stalled. Same problem. They replaced the high pressure oil pump which also fires the injectors. They assured me that was the problem. WRONG!! I also found out from my lawyer, the Lemon law is for vehicles under 10,000 lbs. I'm excluded!
Gino,

After a couple more incidents you will have enough weight ripped off to fall under 10K lbs. Sorry, had to do it.

Brian
Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Gino...

Pantropic Power
305 592 4944
ask for truck service dept.

Jim
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Gino there are a couple of shops in Orlando and Ocala that are Cat Shops One is on I-75, trying to think of the area but they have a chassis dyno and all on site.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have had every problem you could think of with my '05 GMC 7500 cat C7 250 hp hi tq. motor. The day I took delivery was the coldest day in years at Wareham ma -10 mid jan '05. The dealer had left the truck out with out pluging in the block heater for two prior days!! To get it started he had three more bateries in addition to the three in the truck. Well he kept cranking on and on. Every so often it would fire a bit and the dealer would just hold the key in start position , so you would hear clunks when the starter motor would catch up with the flywheel. Needless to say that within a couple of weeks I was plauged with a spinning starter because of missing ring gear teeth. 2000 mi later on a trip to Thomasville Ga I had an injector go out. Drove the rig to Yancy Cat in Valdosta Ga and they replaced the injector. 9 mos. later on a trip back from a trade show in Palm beach trying to get to another show in Baltimore for set up that same day my drivers had just crossed the Fla./Ga. line when the truck cab FILLED with oily thick smoke ,so bad they couldnt see out of the cab!! The co driver got his window down and directed the driver to the side of the road. They hopped out with smoke billowing out of the whole cab area and the motor DEISELING and unable to get shut off. Within 5 minutes a cop and the Fire dept. arrived.Somehow the driver after turning the key on and off, while holding his breath to go in the truck, was able to put the truck in gear and stall the motor. That ended the SMOKE FEST. The cop had called a Ga tow company to get the truck off the highway and their lot was next to a Ryder rental. The drivers then had to off load the full to the brim 24' truck into the ryder. Needless to say calls were made to me in Ct. and then my dealer for a recomndation
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cat paid for the short tow and the turbo at Ring in Jacksonville,not the tow there and didn't clean all the oily soot off the cab . I had to fly my driver to Fla on SAT. so he could get to BALT. for pack out Sunday nite. The tow to J-ville, the time to off load ,re-load ,the rental truck, the flight to Fla, the second drive to Balt. the extra fuel meals,etc,etc, cost me over $3000. NOT A PENNY FROM CAT !!!! Two months later after setting up a show in N Y C parked at a curb with the fuel guage at 1/4 the truck kept stalling. Seems if the truck is not level when you try to start with 1/4 fuel you can suck AIR ???? I have twin 55 gal tanks and there is no transfer between them. This past winter going back to the same trade show in Palm beach my drivers had just about reached the Va./ Nc border and the thing died. There happened to be a dealer at the exit they pulled off. This was 5am . Finnaly at 2pm they started to FIX??? the thing.8am the next morning it was running but not right. Since they were sure the new Hi pressure pump they were putting in was the problem I had decided NOT to get a rental and transfer the load.Since I was supposed to be at set-up that day at noon and I was 825 mi away the only way I was going to get there was on the back of a wrecker.I had to do that because I had $30,000. of pre-paid non refundable deposits. Thank god for FUZZY and his good old WHITE that made that trip in 10 1/2 hours at the cost of $3000. Also had to taxi my drivers 100 mi to get a rental car because everything in the area was booked for presidents weekend.Luckily we got unloaded and set up for the 4pm opening. The truck went to Pantropic in Palm Beach and the Techs worked all weekend and couldnt figure out the problem. The motor would start, warm up and DIE They cleaned the injectors, they changed the injector seals ,they re-flashed the computer they changed the oil the drained the fuel and re filtered it,they re placed an injector that showed as bad , then another showed bad , then another,Finally they had a factory engineer on the phone and he said YANCY SHOULD HAVE REPLACED ALL THE INJECTORS WHEN I HAD THE FIRST ONE GO BECAUSE THEY WERE DIFFERENT NUMBERS AND THEREFORE TALKED TO THE COMPUTER DIFFERENTLY!!!!!!!! CAT DID pay for the work in VA.$1500 and the work at Pantropic BUT not for my guys on the clock ,hanging around for 24+hrs.and not for the $3000 TOW,Not for the taxi and the rental car, and not for the rental truck I had to get for deliveries while my truck was in the shop We got the truck 1/2 hr. before pack out and it ran great except that it would only go 54mph.and we were on the same deadline to get to Balt, that next day and we wouldnt be packed out of PB until 1am. The slow speed ment another trip to a Cat shop in CT. 1hr from where I live,and OF COURSE since this shop didn't do the repairs that were in the Cat computer they had to get paid $200. tech time This is all on a truck with all the options LISTED FOR $97,500 and right now has less than 40,000mi. on the clock. CAT SUCKS CHEERS AW