Notices

new ford dually

Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: new ford dually

www.thedieselstop.com

I did a LOT of research on that site before I bought tweaks for my Ford PSD. I highly recommend talking to the folks that sponsor that site.

Stay away from K&N Filters on the PSD.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,m on my second ford with a 6.0 powerstroke,an 04 Harley Edition F250 4x4 with a 4" lift and 365/65r16 Toyo at tires, and my present truck is an o6 F350 4x4 swb dually with a front leveling kit and 34" tall 19.5 Michelins and on both trucks I've made the exact same mods, Airaid air box, Basanni 4" exhaust(turbo back/no cat) and Edge with attitude programmer and have had no problems whatsoever with either truck, but buy a programmer that is adjustable on the fly like the Edge/Banks product, and remember to turn it down/off when towing.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
www.thedieselstop.com

I did a LOT of research on that site before I bought tweaks for my Ford PSD. I highly recommend talking to the folks that sponsor that site.

Stay away from K&N Filters on the PSD.

This also where I get my info. I have 4 F350's, with different chips/modules. SCT Custom tuned is the best, BY FAR, doesnt slip in higher hp applications, and thats very important if you want tranny and turbo to live. I had numerous problems with Edge after 40k miles. www.innovativediesel.com Eric/Ted...thats where to get the SCT. As to intake, I like AFE Mega 2, and you will also need a exhaust, preferabley a 3-1/2" down pipe into duals is the best performing, cools the EGT's down quickly in the hotter settings. We turn 13.7's with the CC 4x4 F250 and 14.01 was the best 2 weeks ago I got on my dually. Good Luck Jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
This also where I get my info. I have 4 F350's, with different chips/modules. SCT Custom tuned is the best, BY FAR, doesnt slip in higher hp applications, and thats very important if you want tranny and turbo to live. I had numerous problems with Edge after 40k miles. www.innovativediesel.com Eric/Ted...thats where to get the SCT. As to intake, I like AFE Mega 2, and you will also need a exhaust, preferabley a 3-1/2" down pipe into duals is the best performing, cools the EGT's down quickly in the hotter settings. We turn 13.7's with the CC 4x4 F250 and 14.01 was the best 2 weeks ago I got on my dually. Good Luck Jeff

Hey Jeff I have done the research and the SCT is the way to go. Three questions? 1 Is there an easy way to turn it off if your going to tow? 2 How many miles did you put on your trucks before the SCT? 3 Did you see SCT has a new one called livewire?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.
I am looking first for a winter tire wheel set up(maybe stay stock)
summer tire wheel pkg ( Larger)
does a larger wheel affect towing/ braking?
interoir and engine mod. this spring
Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought the truck to tow the boat.....I'll spend the extra money on the boat!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the larger wheels affect both braking and towing. With larger wheels there's more mass, larger diameter, takes a little longer to stop. Also cuts down on your towing capacity. Once you start the mods, it seems like it's never ending. Some times I wish my truck was still stock. Sometimes.....
Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=comp]thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.
I am looking first for a winter tire wheel set up(maybe stay stock)
summer tire wheel pkg ( Larger)
does a larger wheel affect towing/ braking?
interoir and engine mod. this spring[/Q

See my thread titled dually wheel apgrade that works. Its a very factual thread(even though I went to extremes) on the bigger tires/wheels issue. The synopsis is that bigger tires/wheels affect braking/ride/towing performance/fuel mileage, the bigger you go, the more you compromise the vehicle..I was happy with the final outcome with mine, but it damned sure cost me alot of money to get there.

Nick
Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Hey Jeff I have done the research and the SCT is the way to go. Three questions? 1 Is there an easy way to turn it off if your going to tow? 2 How many miles did you put on your trucks before the SCT? 3 Did you see SCT has a new one called livewire?
Hey Scarface 1. It is either programmed in one of your 3 settings or stock. I have a tow tune, which I use above 10K pounds, I pull my Nortech 16k, in this tune. I also tow heavier loads 22k without problems in this tune. I always watch egts, never a problem in this setting. Then...takes 45-55 sec to go to my Xtreme street tune, which is my daily driver, this tune in the 07 dually will turn 14.3's. Very user friendly, shifts like stock during normal operation, and has a slight feel of a shift kit (without being aggressive) when 1/2 way down or better. Towing 8-10k in this tune if watching egt's. Remember you dont really want to go over 1350 degrees for more than 20-30 seconds. When hot rodding in this tune you will hit high 1400 degree's, but thats only for a second before it shifts. Then...my xtreme race tune has only the 3-5th gears locked, you can option for all locked but is really then set up for the track. You will hit 13.9's with a perfect launch in a dually. I do this usually 1 to 2 times to get them dialed in at the track, and then dont return until the next years model truck comes. I dont beat on them, drive relatively normal, just need the extra power and torque to tow my equipment.

I drive 25k per year, and ususaly sell to my employees, my 03 whch is still in service has over 125k. Had Edge, but I switched it out. ( I had 6 trucks previosly with edge and went through 6 Trannys.) They have not gone through a tranny, but have had some engine work done, faulty of EARLY 6.0's. The person who has my 05, has around 60k, no problems, and he beats the crap out of it. Hope this helps. Good Luck...Cant wait till my F450 comes. Jeff

Last edited by Jassman; 12-01-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the 6.0, had a 7.3 the 6.0 seems to have more power stock. 57000 miles and never had a problem. This is an 03 that I bought in late 03. Getting between 17 and 18.5 mpg depending how I drive, highway it seems the faster I go the better mileage I get.

Quick Reply: new ford dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.