Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer: Electric/surge brakes debate >

Trailer: Electric/surge brakes debate

Notices

Trailer: Electric/surge brakes debate

Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM
NoQuarter

Default Trailer: Electric/surge brakes debate

Hello,

I was told by a relative over the holidays that dealers won't even take a surge brake trailer on trade... that electirc brakes are all that are allowed now.

Is this true?

He didn't say that surge is illegal or anything, but just that they don't make them anymore and that the whole industry has gone to electric... and that there could be insurance issues with surge?

Is any of this true? If so, I don't know how I completely overlooked this trend/development.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Trailer: Electric/surge brakes debate

Yeah, it's true....and I'll give you a $100 bucks for your surge brake trailer!
(I call BS on this one!!!)

On flat lands I still prefer a surge trailer and they are more commn than electric. Mountain areas would certainly need electric brakes though.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
Hello,

I was told by a relative over the holidays that dealers won't even take a surge brake trailer on trade... that electric brakes are all that are allowed now.

Is this true?

He didn't say that surge is illegal or anything, but just that they don't make them anymore and that the whole industry has gone to electric... and that there could be insurance issues with surge?

Is any of this true? If so, I don't know how I completely overlooked this trend/development.

Thanks,

Tom

BS. PLENTY of surge brakes out there, and they are definitely still being built.

Now that some of the HD trucks are coming with electric brake controllers from the factory, more trailers ARE heading this way. BUT electric/hydraulic boat trailer brakes don't always get along with these factory controllers. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they need an adapter.

Surge brakes work just fine when setup correctly. Electric/hydraulic is probably better in most cases, but you are somewhat marrying your trailer to your truck. You can't just borrow any truck, or use any truck in an emergency or break down.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have towed lots of different systems and electric over hydraulic is the best of all worlds. It is seemless and powerfull and allows you to use a weight equalizing hitch if you want or need to.

I doubt however that anyone would not take a trade on a surge brake equiped trailer as there are so many out there and continue to be made.

All that being said though believe it or not surge brake trailers do not meet the standards for trailer brakes in a lot of states, ie technically while surge brakes themselves are not illegal a trailer equipped with them may be illegal. The liitle bit of the law that makes this so is the part in a lot of states that says the trailer brakes much be able to be activated from inside the tow vehicle should the tow vehicles brakes fail. You can't do that with surge brakes.

It is rare however that anyone would get a ticket for that but that is the way the law is written in some states. I also know that the marine industry as a whole and possibly Boatus have been trying for years to get that changed but with the advent of E/H brake systems they will probably just let things lie as I think eventually surge brakes will go the way of the dinosaur, but thats stilll a ways off.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Surge brakes are illegal in all states if over 10,000 lbs and used interstate. They are legal in some states, but only if the trailer is used in that state. Here is an excerpt from Maryland when they passed a bill to overrule Federal law and the Governor vetoed it..

"Surge brakes currently do not meet federal or State transportation safety standards.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations cover any vehicle with a gross weight of over 10,000 pounds or any vehicle used in interstate travel. Federal rules require a vehicle's brakes to work at all times and under any conditions. Surge brakes do not meet this criteria because they only work when a trailer is moving forward. When the forward motion stops, the brakes are released. The brakes do not work at all when a vehicle is going backwards. As a result, federal regulations explicitly prohibit the use of surge brakes on trailers and semitrailers. Maryland law requires all trailers over 3,000 pounds to be equipped with brakes that meet the federal standards.

During the 2002 Session, the Maryland Department of State Police and the Department of Transportation opposed this legislation because it would establish a vehicle safety standard in Maryland that is less stringent than the federal safety standard. Of particular concern, surge brakes are completely inoperable when a vehicle and trailer are moving backwards. Maryland is a small State and it will be extremely difficult to enforce the requirement that vehicles with surge brakes travel only within the geographic boundaries of Maryland.

It is worth noting that surge brakes are illegal in an overwhelming majority of states in the nation. At this time, there is not adequate justification for Maryland to break from federal transportation safety standards and adopt a weaker standard for trailers and seimitrailers operating on the roads and highways of our State. However, the U.S. Department of Transportation is in the process of reviewing a study on the operation and safety of surge brakes. It is a more prudent course of action for Maryland to wait until the U.S. DOT completes its review and makes recommendations regarding the need for any changes to Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations.

For the above reasons, I have vetoed Senate Bill 302.

Sincerely,
Parris N. Glendening
Governor "