Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice >

Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice

Notices

Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice

Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice

Just picked up an electric trailer jack (Hi Power 2500#) for the Prestige Trailer. I was going to wire it to the truck batteries (via a disconnect wire) but thought it might be better to mount a battery inside the tool box on the trailer that I already have mounted on the frame. Thought maybe someone has done this and can give me the pros and cons. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice

I had one on my old Skater trailer. It was a major PIA. I replaced the battery that came on it halfway thru the first summer then another the next spring and when that one bit the dust in July i $hit canned it and put a hand jack on there.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problems on a skater trailer with the Atwood jack. Make sure to always turn the switch off and trickle charge in the spring. A battery is a must though because the truck wire is only to charge because of the small wire size.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the new ones are improved. I had the Skater from 97-99 so its been a few years. It was nice when it worked right but not worth the trouble for me.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

That's why I was thinking that having a connection to the tow vehicle would be a good idea. (What's one more battery amongst the 27 I maintain now?) There's a manual handle that will adjust the jack it if the battery goes dead. Maybe I'll try the gell Cell system and if it craps out I'll wire it to the vehicle.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

A buddy of mine did what you're talking about for his enclosed trailer. I "think" he wired it so that when the trailer was plugged into the truck, it only "charged" the battery; he also had a switch in there somewhere but I don't recall exactly what it's purpose was.
I don't recall if he had another battery inside, but he used a solar panel to keep one/both charged.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have mine wired into the trailer plug. When it's pluged into the truck it gets power.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered

Did you run a heavier gauge wire all the way from the battery back or are you tapping into an existing powered wire on the harness at the trailer?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I tapped into the existing wire on the harness. I also made the harness about 3' longer so I can plug in and raise and lower the trailer.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

Decided to hook it up to the wiring harness using the tail light wire. Works perfect!

Originally Posted by boatman22
I tapped into the existing wire on the harness. I also made the harness about 3' longer so I can plug in and raise and lower the trailer.

Quick Reply: Electric Trailer Jack Battery advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.