Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
'04 F350 Superduty 6.0, good choice? >

'04 F350 Superduty 6.0, good choice?

Notices

'04 F350 Superduty 6.0, good choice?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t500hps
The 03's and early 04's were certainly problematic. But don't discount the entire lot. Especially by the time the 05's came out (with the re-designed front end) the trucks seem much better.

and with 2,500,000 trucks out there, a 0.01% dis-satisfaction percentage would make for 25,000 un-happy Ford owners.
I agree with the numbers. I am not going discount the whole lot, numbers don't lie ( ) and I am a Ford fan when it comes to working trucks, but you know when you get the queasy gut feeling? I'm don't feel like pulling the trigger on the 6.0 this week. Maybe next week. As far a GM products, my 99 Tahoe has 255,472 miles and has been totally trouble free all highway miles, but I don't pull anything with it or work it. The 6.0 would only be used to pull the boat once a week on short trips of 2 miles, the rest would be highway miles to KC and back without a load. It might be the wrong choice for my driving habits.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of price are they asking for the truck?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mwdill
what kind of price are they asking for the truck?
He would take 25K.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

We had quite a few 04 King Ranch F350's last year and no major problems. It wasn't hard to re-sell them either.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Great truck if you dont drive the new 2008.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VT 365 V8 (6.0 powerstroke) Has a lot of issues that are all minor but added up if ignored could be a problem.

1 The variable geometry turbo. It builds up rust and will not change positions. Easy clean up fix.

2 There is a STV fitting (quick disconnect) on the branch tube to the IC Pump gets hammered and will become uncoupled and you could loose injection oil pressure and damage the tube.

3 Head bolt stretch- A new AFC’ stitch method allows you to remove them one at a time to R&R them one at a time and not remove the head to R&R the gasket.

4 Rocker fulcrum wear- Can be replaced at the same time as above repair.

5 EGR coolers- They suck and will plug up. Also numerous head gaskets have been condemned because when the EGR cooler lets go it drips coolant down and around the head and it will look like a bad head gasket.

For the International motors the rear gear train has some issues that don’t seem to affect the Ford motors.

There have been some programming changes that have fixed the injector issues. The new program cycles the injector to dump ICP oil and will give you a little longer start up time to build up the ICP pressure but helps with the “sticktion” problem with the second generation injectors. I don’t know where ford stands on this you will need to contact the dealer.

These motors are very finicky about ELC anti freeze. The ELC mixed with tap water will turn the mineral in the water into hard beads that will pelt the head gaskets like a sand blaster. ONLY USE 50/50 PREMIX with these motors.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mike Paula
The VT 365 V8 (6.0 powerstroke) Has a lot of issues that are all minor but added up if ignored could be a problem.

1 The variable geometry turbo. It builds up rust and will not change positions. Easy clean up fix.

2 There is a STV fitting (quick disconnect) on the branch tube to the IC Pump gets hammered and will become uncoupled and you could loose injection oil pressure and damage the tube.

3 Head bolt stretch- A new AFC’ stitch method allows you to remove them one at a time to R&R them one at a time and not remove the head to R&R the gasket.

4 Rocker fulcrum wear- Can be replaced at the same time as above repair.

5 EGR coolers- They suck and will plug up. Also numerous head gaskets have been condemned because when the EGR cooler lets go it drips coolant down and around the head and it will look like a bad head gasket.

For the International motors the rear gear train has some issues that don’t seem to affect the Ford motors.

There have been some programming changes that have fixed the injector issues. The new program cycles the injector to dump ICP oil and will give you a little longer start up time to build up the ICP pressure but helps with the “sticktion” problem with the second generation injectors. I don’t know where ford stands on this you will need to contact the dealer.

These motors are very finicky about ELC anti freeze. The ELC mixed with tap water will turn the mineral in the water into hard beads that will pelt the head gaskets like a sand blaster. ONLY USE 50/50 PREMIX with these motors.
Now...this right here.....is plenty of info to make you stay away from it....look at these issues....pleeeeeze!!!!....no wonder people have issues......you know how many issues are on the street lurking....lmao...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Registered

these are exactly the types of issues I found on the flat rate tech website. My thinking is this: this truck has 46K miles, I would put at least 40-50K miles in one year, warranty is 100K, these type of repairs could come out of my pocket.

There are some real horror stories on these engines. Research changed my mind on deciding to purchase this truck with this engine.

I am not going to take a chance at going that far negative on the operation of a truck. I am going to pass on this type of horse.
SAR