Notices

Trailer rust...already?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer rust...already?

This trailer is not even a month old - it has been sitting outside at in Michigan weather while I wait on completion of my boat. It did accumulate quite a bit of road salt when being towed as well (by the way, will these stains come off?)

The bow stop and winch stand are the only 2 pieces that are not aluminum so they were painted with what I thought made a nice match however, should this be happening already? I haven't even seen the damn thing yet and it is already rusted!!
Attached Thumbnails Trailer rust...already?-3-1-07-014.jpg   Trailer rust...already?-3-1-07-015.jpg  

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 03-03-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did a crappy job prepping it before they painted. If its steel it needs to be sandblasted completely before priming it. I can tell from where the rust is they just hit the high spots with the sand. Let them know your not happy with it and you want it repainted.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

Thanks Mark. I called and explained the issue and said I wanted it sorted. In fact, the boat is at Mitcher T's shop this week which is only 30 minutes from them vs. the 2 hours away the factory is from them (making this very convenient for them). I told them it was a great opportunity for them to go grab these components, re-finish them and deliver them back onto the trailer at Mitcher T's before he is done. So far, 2 days of messages requesting status and no returned calls....I am not terribly excited with this at the moment.

Any idea of those road salt stains will come off the aluminum?

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 03-03-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you expect when you save 6-8 grand?

Mine is not painted all that well either. I would redo it yourself if perfection is what you are looking for. I would also drill a hole(s) at the bottom of the tube that the bow stop slides into to prevent water accumulation. Doesn't matter how pretty the outside is if it is rotting away from the inside. He was going to make mine out of aluminum but I insisted that I wanted steel for that part of the trailer. I'll deal with the small amount of rust over time on that one piece.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want it to last, send it out and have it galvanized. I can't tell you how many bow stop/winch stands I've seen that rotted from the inside. Obviously if you thoroughly strip it and coat it in a good basecoat, it won't rust from the outside. Problem is, the only way you know it rotted inside is when it snaps.

Another DIY approach is to drill a small hole in it and pour POR-15 into it. Unless it has peeling rust scale, POR will stick and seal it. Fill it up, keep turning it until none comes out. 2 coats should do it. Perfect undercoat for the outside too.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BGIII
What do you expect when you save 6-8 grand?
No rust on my MYCO
I am seeing the salt stains on the aluminum from that wonderful south Florida saltwater. My trailer is going to get a good douche next month in freshwater when i get the boat home. Then mist it down with Liquid Wrench. I know that sounds crazy but we use to clean the tuna tower on my dads sportfish with it and it worked great.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Registered

Heat,

Probably need to go get you some salt-away (container that fits on your garden hose) and rinse the trailer down every day for the next few days. Then, if you think that you will be around salt water much...I would have Manning galvanize both the bow stop and the winch stand, only way to really keep that stuff protected in my opinion. He uses Imron paint (I beleive???) but nothing lasts in salt enviroments. I had him galvanize mine. There has not been any problems so far, and I am in the Florida. Also, I have been trying to contact him on another issue, and have received no return calls either. Let us know how this goes.

Activeshack, does the liquid wrench leave a film or what?? I am trying to find something to clean and protect the aluminum. There's something called Eureka fluid film that the military uses around here on their stuff, but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by tweakinit; 03-03-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered

Which brands are the best against rust and corrotion? We bought a Loadmast** and that rusted because of the saltwater dripping down on the trailer after we used a forklift with belts to load the boat on the trailer... the trailer has NEVER EVER been submerged.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
No rust on my MYCO
Is the quality of the paint on the bowstop what makes them cost twice as much?

I am totally pleased with my aluminum Manning and I looked at all of them prior to purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer rust...already?-osotrailer.jpg  
Old 03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tweakinit

Activeshack, does the liquid wrench leave a film or what??
No film Whatevers in that makes it penetrate so good gets into the aluminum and keeps it from pitting.

Originally Posted by BGIII
Is the quality of the paint on the bowstop what makes them cost twice as much?
Maybe i need to scrape some paint off of mine to see if they painted over gold. I haven't looked at the Mannings real close but from the pics. i've seen they look just like the MYCO without a 6 grand bow stop.

Quick Reply: Trailer rust...already?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.