Notices

1967 Camaro Project

Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is the front panel with the driving lights. It is ready to be sanded again in preparation for paint. The black lines under the car are from the body sealer used to seal up all of the seams. In the first picture you can see where the sub frame connectors were flush mounted into the floor to allow more ground clearance. In the same picture you can see where there are rounded cutouts (on each side of the trans tunnel) for the exhaust. This was done for the same reason. This will also keep you from seeing any of this stuff hanging down under the car when it is finished.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Camaro Project-camaro-20.jpg   1967 Camaro Project-camaro-21.jpg   1967 Camaro Project-camaro-22.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 03-18-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are some parts back from being powdercoated. The other pirctures are the underside of the body after being undercoated. The bottom of the body got an epoxy primer and paint before being undercoated. The gray areas of the undercoating are reflections from the camera's flash and the spots are from water drops on the camera lense.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Camaro Project-camaro-23.jpg   1967 Camaro Project-camaro-24.jpg   1967 Camaro Project-0003.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 05-08-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Obviously there are a lot of steps and a lot of pictures not shown, but this will bring you up to date and give you the general idea of how the project is going. The painter started spraying the color last Monday and should have it finished by the end of this week. If I didn't mention it, the car is going to be hugger orange with white Z stripes.

Once the car comes back from paint it will be time for the final assembly!! The projected finish date is the end of May.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 05-08-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

nice build!!, I like that your modifying it to bring it into the 21st century.......I picked up a 69 chevelle a couple of mos back that Im getting to work on........it is a 307 powerglide car and like you I dont want to cut up a piece of history......Im going to put a put a 5 or 6 yr old Late Model Stock car chassis underneath and channel the chit out of the body to get it right down there......
the late models come with A arm susp in front,quick change, huge brakes, 3 link in back, your choice of rack or stnd steering and all susp is fully adjustable.......as an obsolete race car you can pick them up as a complete roller for 3-5 Gs, I'll have to move the rearend back to get to the Chevelles 116" wheelbase but it can be done.......I'll cut the cage off it, drop the body down and reinstall a simpler cage.......Id like to have A/C and power windows too......probably around 500 or so carburated smallblock hp
heres a shot of my old 69 I had in 85 and a shot of a Nova that catches the vibe.....
hey did you use sand for all your blasting?, did you use any soda??.........doug
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Camaro Project-dsc00684.jpg   1967 Camaro Project-normal_bobpressleylms.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Nice! I did a frame off on my 70 H/O GTO. It took me 4 years. I have a 1988 GTO Convertible now in the works. Keep up the good work !
So you are saying that it is your turn to share some pictures, right? I would love to see them if you have any you can post.

Originally Posted by Karaokemike
WOW Will you are a busy guy with the Jeep and Camaro. Looks great see you soon for the race!!!!!
As I said in the Jeep thread, now you know why the Apache is still just plain white! The paint job keeps taking a back seat to other projects. I am looking forward to the race. See you then.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
nice build!!, I like that your modifying it to bring it into the 21st century.......I picked up a 69 chevelle a couple of mos back that Im getting to work on........it is a 307 powerglide car and like you I dont want to cut up a piece of history......Im going to put a put a 5 or 6 yr old Late Model Stock car chassis underneath and channel the chit out of the body to get it right down there......
the late models come with A arm susp in front,quick change, huge brakes, 3 link in back, your choice of rack or stnd steering and all susp is fully adjustable.......as an obsolete race car you can pick them up as a complete roller for 3-5 Gs, I'll have to move the rearend back to get to the Chevelles 116" wheelbase but it can be done.......I'll cut the cage off it, drop the body down and reinstall a simpler cage.......Id like to have A/C and power windows too......probably around 500 or so carburated smallblock hp
heres a shot of my old 69 I had in 85 and a shot of a Nova that catches the vibe.....
hey did you use sand for all your blasting?, did you use any soda??.........doug

That is going to be a fun project. Please post lots of pictures for us as you go along.

Like you mentioned about your car, I also picked up my car really cheap. I initially bought it for $2700 and it has been worth every penny. I had that much fun with it the first year!

The shop that blasted the car was debating between soda and sand, but I believe that they used soda. Evidently it is less abrasive than sand. I may have this backwards, but they used the less aggressive of the two because of all of the rust on the car. I guess it doesn't matter now because we ended up replacing the panels anyway.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW, that's great!

That takes me back to the early '80s. I did somewhat same thing to my '72 Nova, but just the body panels. New GM rear 1/4 panels, inner fender wheels, door skins, rear tailight panel. Rest of car was like new. I have some pics scanned on my other PC, I'll try to get posted. Had a couple of friends that did the same to their '71 RS, '73 Z28, 67'? RS. (headlight doors were kewl )

We were into the Car Craft Street Machine scene back then, right out of high school. Fun times!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
WOW, that's great!

That takes me back to the early '80s. I did somewhat same thing to my '72 Nova, but just the body panels. New GM rear 1/4 panels, inner fender wheels, door skins, rear tailight panel. Rest of car was like new. I have some pics scanned on my other PC, I'll try to get posted. Had a couple of friends that did the same to their '71 RS, '73 Z28, 67'? RS. (headlight doors were kewl )

We were into the Car Craft Street Machine scene back then, right out of high school. Fun times!
us1, I am getting ready to do this with my all original 75 nova that as 14k original miles. My grandma bought it brand new in '75 and I bought it from her estate a year ago. My kids and I are looking forward to the project. Curious of where you got a lot of your parts, door skins, trim, panels, dash upgrades, etc. Pm me with any ideas. A buddy in town is a GM certified tech from years ago and he is excited to do all the mechanicals with me. Hotduck, that car is going to be awesome. Love the late 60's Camaros in general. Curious what you started with as your budget and how you are doing. Pm me and I would love to hear your ideas. Thanks Hammer
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally a '72 Rally Sport. 307, 3 spd manual saginaw, man. steering and brakes I traded a $800 motorcyle for back in '79-'80.
Installed PS, PB, 350, muncie 4 sp over the next yr.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

more. GF back then right in there every min during the work. Now she's my wife doing the same thing on the boat!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 1967 Camaro Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.