Notices

Used Excursion Q

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Excursion Q

I'm going to be looking into getting a used Excursion in the next few weeks with the Diesel. Are there any gotchas in any of the more recent years? Like problems, etc that plagued certain model years?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered

got an 03 6.0, great vehicle ,love mine, no major problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

Had a 02 7.3 LTD sold it 04, bought a Nissan Titan, lasted maybe two weeks and took it back. Bought a new 04 Eddie edition 6.0 PSD and would buy another if I could.

The only issue's I've had where very minor and easy to fix and this will be the first vehicle new or used that I'm keeping long term....... If Ford still made them would buy another today.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 03 6.0 with 115k miles no problems.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Registered

Quite a few folks on www.dieselstop.com say avoid 6.0, especially early ones.

I have a 01 7.3L excursion that has been rock solid. The last year for the venerable 7.3 was 2003 (early 03).
I went with a dptuner chip and it runs great and avg 18mpg when not towing.

Plan on upgrading the shocks and adding rear sway bars if they are stock.

There's lots of info available on dieselstop.com

Last edited by wrasse; 04-24-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrasse
Plan on upgrading the shocks and adding rear sway bars if they are stock.
Sound advice. I had a gas Excursion, and the factory suspension sucks. At 30K miles, mine would hit the bump stops going over a speed bump.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Thedieselstop.com has a LOT of info. Make it a bookmark.

Many complain that the rear end is squishy when trying to tow. Its setup to be a bit more of a comfortable ride compared to the F-250 SD that it shares a frame with. Many upgrade to "X" springs from Ford, and add anti-sway and Airbags.

I really like them, but they don't suit my needs. I'd only buy one with a 7.3L PSD.

mwdill can share a lot of info. He has his lifted and tweaked.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '03 and an '05. By now, all the 6.0 issues have been worked out. My '03 had injectors under warranty and a fuel pump that died. They all have EGR sticking problems and the fix is to disconnect it and don't worry about it. The passenger side glow plug harness has a habit of going bad from heat at about 100K.

On suspension, to make them softer and lower, Ford put negative curve springs on the front. They have a habit of wandering on the highway and they are very tire sensitive. The Superduty 250 spring is a bolt-on replacement that takes 90 minutes to swap. There's a block in the back that levels things up- you need the longer U-bolts too. Add a Hellwig rear sway bar and I like the Edelbrock self-adjusting gas shocks. If you're going to tow much, get Firestone air bags for the rear. The stock hitch isn't up to any HD towing tasks. BTW, the lift allows you to put 35" tires on it which gives you a much better ride and handling. I put H2 sized 315's and Weld's on mine- BFG T/A. I figured I could get a replacement just about anywhere I was travelling if need be.

The swaybar links wear out pretty quickly and you get an annoying clunk right about under your feet. The ball joints are "permanently lubricated" which is a kind euphemism for no grease fitting. They'll make it 100K or so.

The fuel filters are a bit on the expensive side and should be swapped at 20K. There's a water drain plug in the separator down on the frame rail. The early one's are brass and strip easily. I think they went to steel in '04.

If they reintroduced it today, I'd order 2 this afternoon.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a '04 and had a 00' prior. I had planned on buying with a diesel, but each time the V-10's were selling so cheap I couldn't pass it up. I've towed lots - Boats, 4 place snowmobile trailers, 30' travel trailer thru Rocky Mtns.
Pulls great, and I'll be damned gas is cheaper!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Has anyone found a more stout hitch for the excursion?
Scott

Quick Reply: Used Excursion Q

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.