Notices

Towing 38"with PSD Excursion

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing 38"with PSD Excursion

Need advice on towing a 38'Scarab with aluminum trailer(guessing 12-13klbs).I' seen everything from a C4500 Topkick to a 1500 Tahoe towing this kind of boat .How many of you tow this size of boat with this set up? I know the 4x4 Ex is rated at 11k (I think). I have the normal Banks stuff-trans command,exhaust,wastegate,6 pack,ottomind chip.As well as trans and ex temp.I have ladder bars,Firestone airbags a small lift with 315 75 16 tires.I have an upgraded torque converter and modified trans fluid pump.I want to put 4.10 gears(up from 3.73).It already has an LSD.thanks Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't do it either safely or legally. If you're willing to ignore the legalities and take a chance that your insurer will deny payment on liability and wronful-death claims, it will certainly be a handful on the highway. Sure, it will move the boat and unlerss it's breezy, pulling on the highway won't be terrible. The first guy who changes lanes in front of you will make you wish you had the right truck for the job.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Just like Chris said, the insurance company will have its way with you if you exceed your towing limitations. What is the GVWR of the vehicle? You need to take that into consideration before you tow anything. Figure 10% tongue weight of the trailer & boat to add to your GVWR, in this case probably at least 1500lbs.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you really need to know the exact weight of what you are towing, are there any scales nearby?
call scarab or a dealer and find out the exact weight of the boat, air bags and ladder bars really help for towing , but you just don't want to go over what it is rated to tow for insurance reasons, Va has some weird laws for vehicles with "truck" tags, allows you to haul/tow more, not sure about other states.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:02 PM

One other issue- the stock hitch is rated for several tons less than the truck's rated towing capacity. Real smart on the automaker's part- but they all pull that $hit.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I would not advise it. The EX is pretty heavy and squishy in the back.

4.10s won't help you with braking and control, which is the obvious safety issue.

You DEFINITELY would need a new true Class-V hitch from Putnam or Reese. You would definitely want electric/hydraulic trailer brakes to control braking the boat. Upgraded cross-drilled or slotted rotors on the truck and HD pads on the brakes, and SS brake connector lines are also good investments.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Good point- the gearing switch will make up for the oversized tires, but not slowing down. The Ex had alot of brakes but the powerslots and EBC green pads do help.

If you're gonna' pull with it anyway, I'd really suggest you un-do whatever lift was put on it and replace the front springs with the Superduty units. You'll get the clearance height for the 315's and you'll loose the Excursion mush and wandering. Edelbrock shocks are my recommendation. The stock Ford shock is OK for a big wagon, not a tow vehicle. If you do the SD springs up front, you'll need the factory blocks in the rear- and the longer U-bolts.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My humble opinion. I attempted exact thing with 3500 suburban, same boat and approximate weight. Purchase a dually at least. Just pulled 5000 miles to FPC Key West run and back and can't say how glad I am that I did the dually deal.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by handreasen
My humble opinion. I attempted exact thing with 3500 suburban, same boat and approximate weight. Purchase a dually at least. Just pulled 5000 miles to FPC Key West run and back and can't say how glad I am that I did the dually deal.
I am not aware of a 3500 Suburban produced in the last 10 years.

The Excursion is more stout than the 2500 Suburban; but you are right. There is NO substitute for towing with a dually.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one going to say do it, you'll be fine, because you may not be. But, the Excursion is a SRW superduty truck, and can do a lot. Mine regularly pulls 10-11,000 lbs nicely. I once pulled 14-15,000 lbs for a short distance, and was glad to be done with that trip. WD bars would help, but I just did not feel safe doing it. Maybe with practice.... But, if I had to do it often, I'd try hard to get a dually.

Quick Reply: Towing 38"with PSD Excursion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.