Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Electric over Hydraullic Conversion >

Electric over Hydraullic Conversion

Notices

Electric over Hydraullic Conversion

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at an Instigator trailer out of Houston. My truck has a 7 pin connector and is prewired in the cab. It came with a pig tail that plugs under the dash and just needs to be wired to the controller. The owner of the trailer company said no upcharge for the electric brakes. I think if I do go with a new one, it will have electric.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
I'm looking at an Instigator trailer out of Houston. My truck has a 7 pin connector and is prewired in the cab. It came with a pig tail that plugs under the dash and just needs to be wired to the controller. The owner of the trailer company said no upcharge for the electric brakes. I think if I do go with a new one, it will have electric.
Make sure your clear on what your actually getting. Hydraulic, Electric or Electric over hydraulic. I don't think you want straight electric brakes (IMO).

You want the Electric over Hydraulic. This will usually run more.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info, I will check it out and be sure!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Make sure your clear on what your actually getting. Hydraulic, Electric or Electric over hydraulic. I don't think you want straight electric brakes (IMO).

You want the Electric over Hydraulic. This will usually run more.
Exactly. Do not go with "electric brakes". Go with hydraullic disc with the electric actuator. Known as electric over hydraullic.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Anyone have a good writeup on converting Hydrolic to Electric over hydrolic. I have an electric controller in the truck already for my race car trailer. I currently have hydrolic brakes on my 2006 Performance trailer and need to repair them due to a locking brake issue I had over the weekend so figure this might be a good time to upgrade.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

Ok, I just ordered my new trailer with the electric over hydraulic. It was a $500.00 upgrade. It better be worth it, or I'm hunting you guys down!!

The trailer is an Instigator. Their website is:

www.instigatortrailers.com

I saw one being delivered at our marina last week and it is a really nice piece. They said I can have it in 10 - 12 days. Then all I have to do is get my boat from the bum trailer to this one. I can't drive it very far with only one axle underneath it. Anybody interested in it? It is a 2000 model Load Rite that needs a front axle with brakes. It is set up for a 24' Superboat right now. Make me an offer!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

I paid a couple grand to have mine converted from surge to electric over hydraulic. Best money I ever spent.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Ok, I just ordered my new trailer with the electric over hydraulic. It was a $500.00 upgrade. It better be worth it, or I'm hunting you guys down!!

The trailer is an Instigator. Their website is:

www.instigatortrailers.com

I saw one being delivered at our marina last week and it is a really nice piece. They said I can have it in 10 - 12 days. Then all I have to do is get my boat from the bum trailer to this one. I can't drive it very far with only one axle underneath it. Anybody interested in it? It is a 2000 model Load Rite that needs a front axle with brakes. It is set up for a 24' Superboat right now. Make me an offer!

No disappointments. Post #1 I said "better than your 1st microwave". You may be too young but the older crowd knows that phrase. Now is a good time to get a compatable cab controller.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

I was planning on buying one today or tomorrow. Who makes a nice one? Does it need to be specifically compatible with electric over hydraulic?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Well, I ordered a Tekonsha P3 unit that is supposedly the newest trick stuff. It has a small LCD screen and can be set specifically for hauling with Electric over hydraulic. I probably went a little overboard, but what the heck. I only have to buy it once!

Quick Reply: Electric over Hydraullic Conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.