Notices

New guy, old questions

Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, old questions

Hi, I am new here. I am an 'ol flat bottom amd day cruiser kinda guy, so this is kinda new to me. I am looking at a 1987 Chris Craft 32'. I am in the inspection process right now. My inlaws have a slip about 7 mile from my house, so I have a plase to keep it wet. What I am wondering is... I dont have a "big" vehicle to move it in case I need to get it home for some dry work.

I have a '72 3/4 ton chevy with lots of suspension and a 2005 Suburban with a 7800# towing rating. Are either of these "ok" for a 7 mile trip or am I in over my head with my current fleet?

By the way, this site is great, I have been surfing it for a little while and I am really impressed on the knowledge.

If I go ahead and do this thing, I am sure I will have alot more ??? for you guys to help me out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jerry
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I am willing to bet you are going to be over 10,000 lbs. on the boat/trailer combo no matter how you slice it.

This is a complete SWAG, but 8500 lbs of boat, and at least 1500 lbs. of trailer (1500 lbs. of cheap aluminum trailer or maybe 2500 lbs. of heavy steel trailer) ; not including fuel, water, anchors, gear, coolers, tools, etc. etc.

Do you have an exact weight of the boat and trailer?

Does the '72 Chevy have enough wheel base to handle such load? Nope.
Will the 2005 1/2 Suburban handle it? Barely.
Will it like it? Nope.
Will you be able to panic/emergency stop it? Nope.
Are you over your legal tow rating? Yep.
Are you at serious liability risk in the event of an accident/incident? Yep.

Its your call, but I wouldn't do it. I'd be looking for a buddy with a late model 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck that can be borrowed for said task.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I am willing to bet you are going to be over 10,000 lbs. on the boat/trailer combo no matter how you slice it.

This is a complete SWAG, but 8500 lbs of boat, and at least 1500 lbs. of trailer (1500 lbs. of cheap aluminum trailer or maybe 2500 lbs. of heavy steel trailer) ; not including fuel, water, anchors, gear, coolers, tools, etc. etc.

Do you have an exact weight of the boat and trailer?

Does the '72 Chevy have enough wheel base to handle such load? Nope.
Will the 2005 1/2 Suburban handle it? Barely.
Will it like it? Nope.
Will you be able to panic/emergency stop it? Nope.
Are you over your legal tow rating? Yep.
Are you at serious liability risk in the event of an accident/incident? Yep.

Its your call, but I wouldn't do it. I'd be looking for a buddy with a late model 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck that can be borrowed for said task.

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking (needed someone to slap me) I have nephew with a '07 3/4 Dodge (this is one awsome to vehicle, and very quite now too!), and my Bro-in-Law has a '06 2500 duramax about 1/4 of a mile from here. I just hat to borrow if I dont have to.

Since I am here, what is the feeling of the '80's stingers here... good boat or no? I have the small fast boats, so I am not totally looking for a rocket, just something that will move along and be fun for the family.

Thanks again

Jerry
Old 06-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris Craft was building a very well-made boat back then. They were also very "durable" which is a euphamism for lots of resin & cloth. They don't break and they ride very smoothly but they soak up the power. You won't be setting any speed records and will definitely be burning lots of gas.

On the tow vehicle, there's usually a 2 or 3 second period where an individual discovers he's under-trucked. That's the span of time where the brake pedal hits the floor or the steering wheel turns and little if anything happens. The feeling that comes over you sucks really bad. You're smart in not allowing yourself to get sucked into the "I'm not going very far and I'll be really careful" delusion.