Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Loadrite w/electric over hydraulic >

Loadrite w/electric over hydraulic

Notices

Loadrite w/electric over hydraulic

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loadrite w/electric over hydraulic

I'm replacing my Manning trailer with a Loadrite triaxle which has the electric over hydraulic brake controller and disc brakes on all wheels.

I've had drum brakes and disc before and always with the surge controller. Pretty simple, bleed lines and adjust drums, lube actuator.

Anything I need to know about electric over hydraulic system??? Just assure the lines are air free, fluid topped of and just plug it in? I have a prodigy brake controller in my truck which I used for an electric brake flatbed trailer.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm certainly no expert but I just converted my triple axle drum/surge trailer to Kodiak discs and a BrakeRite E/H actuator with the Tekonsha P3 controller (latest and greatest), all I can say is Wow! It's freaking awesome, my truck stops better with the trailer than alone. My friend has the Prodigy controller and doesn't have good luck with his, says it comes on to hard and just got the P3 today(not to say it won't work for you). I was tempted to stay with the surge actuator to save money but I'm glad I didn't! It's even a breeze to bleed the lines (if you have to), it's all electronic! You'll love it! Steve
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The prodigy controller paperwork says not to use with electric over hydraulic brakes, but I have heard of people having luck with them.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Not that I've towed with either yet (boat is still on the way), but I started with a Prodigy and upgraded it to a P3 when I read it wasn't meant to work with the electric over hydraulic. The P3 can be put in either mode apparently with good results.

John
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Registered

Went to Techonsha website and found this answer to the prodigy working with electric over hydraulic. They put the disclaimer in because they never tested it. I've been trying to come up with a reason as to why it would not work. I'm going to give Techonsha a call to see what the difference is between the prodigy and the P3.

http://www.tekonsha.com/faqprodigy.html

Q.) Will the Prodigy® work with Electric-Hydraulic Brakes?
A.) Tekonsha® brake controls are designed to operate electric brakes that are activated by magnets. They have not been tested for the use on electric/hydraulic brake systems. Please contact the manufacturer of the hydraulic control unit for their recommendations.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Here is reply from manufacturer regarding the latest elec/hyd units from Charlisle.... Apparently, earlier units could not handle the constant signals that come from some controllers.

That is correct. The newest HydraStar units are compatible with the
Tekonsha Prodigy controller.

Jess Hulse, ME
Applications Engineer
Carlisle Industrial Brake and Friction
[email protected]
(812) 334-8753
Old 06-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the updated info on the Prodigy.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Tekonsha Voyager is the one you want for electric over hydraulic. Cheap and works great when properly adjusted.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

I just picked up a new trailer with electric/hydraulic and us the P3. It works great, and the stopping is incredible!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just completed the conversion a few weeks back and would not settle for anything else. I happened to have a Tekonsha Sentinal laying around for years which happen to be compatable. I did not have an owners manuel on it. I ran the truck and trailer to work for a dry run before my road trip from Long Island to Lake Murray. Ran about 6 miles thinking this stops way too well with a big smile. Before I hit the interstate I figured I'd check everything. The brakes were way too hot thinking I had sticky calipers. Downloaded the Tekonsha owners manuel to find out a calibration was needed for the psi and reaction...DUH! what a differance.
I scaled the dually and boat. Had 10,300lbs on the trailer, 1100lbs tongie weight combined gross weight of 18,880 lbs with 20 gallons fuel in the boat with the dually on empty. So with tools and luggage etc over 19,000lbs. The EO/H conversion saved my azz more than once when needed. You will not regret it.