Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis? >

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Notices

Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the factory 2 year warranties transferable like a regular vehicle? Motor warranty tranfer as well?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Be aware- most states have no lemon law on something this size. That can be an issue- especially when you have a truck manufacturer and the chassis convertor involved
Have there been issues with some that would warrant this statement?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chis is saying a lot with few words.....The conversion guy becomes the ultimate vendor. Liability for several things may be on the shoulders of the converter....In a perfect world, one would have a copy of the product liability policy covering that specific VIN #....Technically, the OEM may argue the engine failed or didn't perform because of ________? installation and etc.

Some states may be more or less impacted by UCC (uniform commercial code) The break point is the class 6 ,7 or 8 vehicle. Those classes have the higher GVW rating and are thought intended for commercial purposes. Therefore, the assumed application removes some of the usual non - commercial protection.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic34
Have there been issues with some that would warrant this statement?
Sure- everyone punches out a lemon every once in a while. Truck manufacturers are no exception. Trucks are simpler in many ways over autos but now the new computer controlled diesels are changing that. Add in a bunch of cab electronics and it gets more complicated. Bringing a 3rd party conversion company into the mix just adds to it- and opens up the potential for finger-pointing.

Many of my business' customers operate fleets and I get to hear the stories- they do get the lemon every now and again. My comment wasn't anything more than a heads-up that if you do have a problem, you won't have access to a lemon-law buyback. You still have all other legal avenues before you.

I spoke with a FL dealer tech about the MB engines this weekend- he says his dealership has avoided inventorying them and they've sold very few. He says he thinks this is their local customer preference, not anything to do with the motor. He's been to the schools on them but has never worked on one. I wouldn't want mine to break down on his doorstep- you might be some time in getting it fixed. That doesn't make the motor bad- just not as owner-friendly. Everybody in the truck biz can fix a Cat, Cummins or IHC.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

with the latest OBD diagnostics and new LAN modules, it's pretty much a *punch the scanner and pull up the problem* world... my customers are luving the MB/FL package so i'm told... but it may be a **territorial acceptance** issue more than anything
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Cool thanks guys.

I went through the lemon law stuff with no success before on my last Weekend Warrior 5th wheel toyhauler. It was 18k GVWR and was in the shop 8 times in the forst 6 months, 5 of which were for the same problem. Due to the high GVW the lemon law did not apply to the RV.

Had similar issues with my Chevrolet 4500.

There is a major Freighliner dealer here in town, so I would think service would be easier. Maybe not?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
with the latest OBD diagnostics and new LAN modules, it's pretty much a *punch the scanner and pull up the problem* world... my customers are luving the MB/FL package so i'm told... but it may be a **territorial acceptance** issue more than anything
I've had one to Cat & FL dealers in 2 different states over two years chasing an intermittent problem with the engine management system. It's not always that cut & dried.

As far as the territorial thing- I'm sure you're right. Up in the Rust Belt, the idea of a MBZ motor probably doesn't sit well with the average blue-collar fleet manager. They buy what they know which is Cat, Cummins & IHC.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered

Chris, Sounds like you have had some issues. Would you buy another tomorrow?

Also, what is the towing capacity of these?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Registered

There is a major Freighliner dealer here in town, so I would think service would be easier. Maybe not?

Just go with the MBE and the Allison and I know someone who can help ya.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Chris, Sounds like you have had some issues. Would you buy another tomorrow?

Also, what is the towing capacity of these?
The one with the gremlin is a '97 with 100K on it. Those things just happen- mechanical stuff breaks. I HAVE to buy medium duty trucks or go out of business. Fixing them is a part of owning them but they're no better or worse than any auto or pickup. In fact, many times I'm surprised at the parts costs- often times much less than small vehicle parts. I just bought new injectors for a Cat- $212 each. I think the injectors for the Ford 6.0 are at least twice that if not more.

I've never owned one that I'd say I'd never own again but I do like the FL. I'd love to buy Pete's and KW's but they're too pricey for work trucks and under CDL one's are rare- I usually try to buy late-model used if I can.

On towing, if you have it registered as a non-CDL commercial vehicle, your tow limit is 10K. If you register it as an RV, you can tow just about anything.

I don't know that I'd worry too much about the MB motor. Chances of having a serious problem are slim. If you do, it certainly can be fixed. It may not be as convenient or as swift though. For me, there's value in being able to get right back to work. For a hobby vehicle, I'm not burning valuable, billable time and holding up customers if it takes another day or so.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Freightliner Sportchassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.