Notices

08 Ford F-450 Dually

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast Rafe
sorry need a 4wd im looking at a 350 now they want 51k for it
Are you able to get X-plan price? That might be able to help you save on superduties where they aren't negotiating too much because they're new.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Think of it as it gets 8 times better gas milage then your boat
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The 450 with the 4.88 ratio is a major pulling machine.

If you swap the ratio for 4.30, and bump the tire size up, you'll be close to the MPG that the 350 gets.

I hate to tell you this, but if you were hauling fine with the 350, you bought the wrong truck this time. If you were struggling a bit before, then you just got the wrong gears.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
let me get this right...

you towed a 42 MTI at 80 mph, and got 17 mpg ?????

what truck was this??

whatever you say dude...

Originally Posted by gsteve
coughcoughbull****cough .
I have no reason to lie about this, I was not going off what the trip computer said, I went off the amount of miles I drove and how many gallons of diesel I used, this was not a 50 mile trip it was over 2000 miles. and we had a further check to the milage was that the other truck was getting around 8 miles to the gallon and I would only stop every other time he did and I would have more left then he would when we stopped. and too add to this the boat was hooked to the truck when I got there to pick it up when we arrived in destin we were taking the trailer off the truck and realized we hauled it down there on a 2" ball.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I have no reason to lie about this, I was not going off what the trip computer said, I went off the amount of miles I drove and how many gallons of diesel I used, this was not a 50 mile trip it was over 2000 miles. and we had a further check to the milage was that the other truck was getting around 8 miles to the gallon and I would only stop every other time he did and I would have more left then he would when we stopped. and too add to this the boat was hooked to the truck when I got there to pick it up when we arrived in destin we were taking the trailer off the truck and realized we hauled it down there on a 2" ball.
i think your numbers are off, we were getting 9 not 8!

and yes, the 17 is hard to believe unless you were at the fuel pumps with us.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
The 450 with the 4.88 ratio is a major pulling machine.

If you swap the ratio for 4.30, and bump the tire size up, you'll be close to the MPG that the 350 gets.

I hate to tell you this, but if you were hauling fine with the 350, you bought the wrong truck this time. If you were struggling a bit before, then you just got the wrong gears.
Funny how people have all the answers without getting the info first. Yes, I pulled fine with the 350, however, my insurance put a disclaimer which makes it null and void if over the rated capacity of tow vehicle. Which I was, hence the 450. I would have rather had the 4:30 gears, but I needed one in March and there were none to be found, so I got the 4:88's. One of my friends has the the same truck with 4:30's and pulling to chicago we got almost the exact same mileage, both pulling 44 MTI's.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
Hate to break it to you ......you will never see more than 8-9 on that rig if it ihas 4.88 rearend.....maybe you could d squeeze 10 if you are pullin on the flat and under 65 mph with a 4.30....Check out this site www.thedieselstop.com of info over there, yes the fuel miliage sucks!

This is why I am keeping my 2001 7.3 Dually.

Bryan
I just test drove a 2008,and I decided the smell of new couldnt replace the reliability of old!2002 7.3
Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
You are supposed to wait like 1,000 miles before you tow with a diesel.
Guess it depends on the manufacturer. With a Cummins, to help it seat under the same load conditions that it will encounter all its life, its recommended / its ok to pull heavy right from new. Its also recommended to not use synthetic oil until about 30,000 miles.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Look into a Superchip.......it worked wonders with a 7.3 Excursion......that also had a higher rear to begin with.
I don't see how changing a chip or reprogramming the computer is going to "improve" mileage. More likely it is the other changes people do at the same time. All the reprogramming I've seen just allows the engine to be overfueled, and sometimes overboosted, for more power. You're not likely to be at the wastegate pressure just going down the freeway.

Michael
Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't see how changing a chip or reprogramming the computer is going to "improve" mileage. More likely it is the other changes people do at the same time. All the reprogramming I've seen just allows the engine to be overfueled, and sometimes overboosted, for more power. You're not likely to be at the wastegate pressure just going down the freeway.

Michael

They can write tunes for whatever you want. I use Innovative Diesel and have a race tune, street tune, and a MPG tune which actually boosted the MPG 2.2mpg when used. So yes, they can make you one.

Quick Reply: 08 Ford F-450 Dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.