Notices

Gooseneck with SRW F250

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Gooseneck with SRW F250

I'd like to get opinions on getting a gooseneck trailer for the Sunsation F4 and using a new F250 SRW diesel to tow. I should be near the towing capabilities as far as weight. (15,200 lbs) My reason for SRW is I won't tow very much, and I will use the truck for other daily stuff. So I really don't want a dually for the daily stuff.

Thoughts on this - will this type of set up work ok? Boat weighs in at about 11,500 lbs.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The setup is going to be borderline. For local towing it won't be bad. For running on the interstate, it won't be a comfortable, relaxed ride.

This is contingent upon the trailer being of high quality with the best components and everything in 100% order. Everywhere you skimp wil show up glowingly.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The setup is going to be borderline. For local towing it won't be bad. For running on the interstate, it won't be a comfortable, relaxed ride.

This is contingent upon the trailer being of high quality with the best components and everything in 100% order. Everywhere you skimp wil show up glowingly.

Chris, how about the same set up but SRW on a 350 vs the 250..Thanks Jeff
Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you go crew cab/long bed maybe. the dual wheels really help on the sway factor and emergency stops.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM

The 350 will give you sturdier componentry but the ride starts to suffer.

With any tow vehicle, length gives you ride comfort, width gives you stability and weight (mass) gives you both.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I'd like to get opinions on getting a gooseneck trailer for the Sunsation F4 and using a new F250 SRW diesel to tow. I should be near the towing capabilities as far as weight. (15,200 lbs) My reason for SRW is I won't tow very much, and I will use the truck for other daily stuff. So I really don't want a dually for the daily stuff.

Thoughts on this - will this type of set up work ok? Boat weighs in at about 11,500 lbs.
Mentalpause, a buddy just upgraded from his f250 srw diesel to f350 dually shortbed and absolutely loves it. He said he feels so much more comfortable towing that it is worth the minor inconvenience of the dually daily driving and he uses it daily. BTW, he said the s.b. dually turns better than his f250 srw did. You need a dually to fit in down there at the lake anyway, it is like a Texas Cadillac. Good luck and enjoy the shootout.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM

You have to own a dually to truly understand what a hassle they are. No bank drive thru's, no car washes. Very tough in many fast food places. You'll also be parking far out in the lot wherever you go- parking spaces seem to be shrinking anyway so they're even more less "dually friendly" There's no substitute for one out on the road though.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You have to own a dually to truly understand what a hassle they are. No bank drive thru's, no car washes. Very tough in many fast food places. You'll also be parking far out in the lot wherever you go- parking spaces seem to be shrinking anyway so they're even more less "dually friendly" There's no substitute for one out on the road though.
I drive my dually just about everywhere. While I do find I have to plan my route a little bit more; I don't have any issues with daily driving. That's including parking/navigating downtown Washington DC. I have a little beater car that I have to force myself to drive; as I like the dually much better.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks, I have some time to think about this. Trailer would be a Myco, I am not thinking of any alternative to that.

I would only be trailering on interstates, but only a couple times a year. But never locally. The rest of the time the boat is on a lift at LOTO. Considering the few times I will trailer, I am not looking to run high speeds. Plus I am thinking to retire - so time is on my side at this point as far as being in a hurry..

If I go too far south I plan to hitch a ride with Jassman!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO with a bumper pull trailer the total load is being drug. A gooseneck trailer causes part of the load to be carried and the balance pulled.

A typical gooseneck trailer design will probably set the axles to provide a relative envelope wieght range on the ball. That wieght may far exceed the normal wieght found on the bumper pull ball.

You referanced 15,200#,If that number is the wieght of your boat and a bumper pull trailer,you may want to add 1,000# for the gooseneck trailer. However,not all 1,000# will go on the ball.

Suppose the trailer has two 8,000# axles w/ electric over hydraulic disc brakes and tires and wheels rated @ 4,000 to 4,500# each, we would have a substantial safety margin if we put 3,500 to 4,000# on the F250 gooseneck ball.(you may want the ball set 2 to 4"+/- ahead of the rear axle,otherwise known as the trunnion.)

The trailer axles will go towards the rear which causes the hitch to be heavier. The increased wheelbase will improve driveability and RIDE of the tow vehicle. Plus, the ball wieght is in the bed...Traction for the ramp will allow a two wheel drive w/positraction to rival a four wheel drive bumper pull.

I have no problem w/a F250 camper special and all the HD packages for this application.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Gooseneck with SRW F250

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.