Notices

Would you buy a Dodge?

Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Would you buy a Dodge?

Looking at new trucks...all the big 3 trucks. I have a F350 PSD that's a bit tired and I'm looking for a new one. I see mostly Fords/Chevys, but not as many Dodges, is there a reason for this? BTW...I'm sticking with diesel, it's used for contracting and towing my 33' PowerPlay, it's my personal vehicle too.

I've heard a ton of good things about the Duramax/Allison combo, some so-so about the new Ford 6.4 twin turbo, and decent things about the Cummins also. I hear the new Dodge tranny is warranteed for 100k. Opinions?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to beat the cummins. Inline 6 power....just a de-tuned medium duty motor. 30% fewer moving parts than the V8 diesels. In all honesty though the diesel wars as of late have really evened the playing fields....everybody make a really good diesel.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No.

My co. calls on and service hundreds of fleet operations throughout the central states. Rarely if ever do you see a Dodge in their fleets. 60/40, Ford/GM. These guys do this for a living and know the numbers on keeping them running. They must know what they're doing.

I have no brand loyalty to any of them- I think they all could build a better product.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cummins is built to go alot of miles, which is why I would consider Dodge. I want a truck that can go over 300,000 miles. I don't know if my powerstroke will do that and I haven't heard much about the longevity of the Duramax. Dodge's tranny has always been a concern but I've talked to several boat haulers that use only Dodge and they all say keep the fluid changed and the trannys last as long as any.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I don't mind the Dodge trucks but the interiors suck!

My 03 duramax clicked 100K today and still has the original brake pads! Needless to say I have been extremely satisfied with all nine GM's I have had since 89. Four of which I kept well past 100K.

My DD is bone stock and has never had any issues with anything. The truck has cost me 3 sets of tires and one set of batteries was changed under warranty other than that it has been fuel, filters and fluid changes.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

99psd went 240k...no trouble-sold it for a hefty sum to a lucky dirt contractor in Charlotte(first guy that saw it bought it), 05 psd has 75kmiles, brakes pads look new, gets almost 20mpg,00'F-550 90k still hauling 26k lbs regularly and running strong; 08' 6.4 just hit 12k miles and my fuel consumption is getting slightly better, 16 highway 12-13 town...Still loving the FORD's!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have owned two dodges a 1997 which i just sold had 476000 miles and still runnin good . I have a 2004 that has 250000miles on it i run them hard and pull 16000 to 20000 daily . the 04 has had some minor problems . I got 178000 out of the first transmission . I hope that helps .
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered

I am very happy with my 2002 Cummins Ram. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat, in fact may be doing so in the next few months. IMO you can't beat the cummins. It pulls like an ox and has given me no trouble. It gets better mileage than my 1/2 tons and jeeps as well. I wish this motor was available in the ford or chevy trucks as an option. Heck, I've been researching putting one in my boat. The only weak link I am hearing about in the new rams is substandard A/C. In Hotlanta I find that disconcerting and would consider any of the big 3 if it proves to be a problem. All are good trucks and performance wise they are closer than ever. Last time I compared I liked the dodge and ford the best. I just wish the cummins was an option in the ford's without having to go F650.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2003 CTD 2500 Dodge. It is the biggest POS I have ever seen. Never again, not in a million years, will we ever have a Dodge again. The engine is great, everything else around it is complete crap. Transmission, brakes, u-joints, air conditioning, axles, rust, steering box, lift pump and on and on. Complete POS!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by BGIII
We have a 2003 CTD 2500 Dodge. It is the biggest POS I have ever seen. Never again, not in a million years, will we ever have a Dodge again. The engine is great, everything else around it is complete crap. Transmission, brakes, u-joints, air conditioning, axles, rust, steering box, lift pump and on and on. Complete POS!
Honest feedback is a good thing.....Some guys are so blinded by their loyalty they can't see the truth. The biggest downfall so far with the 6.4 Ford is the fuel consumption. I am very impressed with the power & torque of the motor, and the interior is definitely second to none.
BTW, I actually use the step that's built in to the tailgate...never thought it would be useful.
The new Duramax has been given very high masrks in diesel mag., but the new body style has left a mark.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Dodge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.