Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
estimated weight of 30' older boats >

estimated weight of 30' older boats

Notices

estimated weight of 30' older boats

Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the mfg's rating on your truck anyway?
The rating on the truck is 7100lbs. The sticker on the receiver says 5000lbs and 12000lbs with WD(weight distribution). I just purchased a class V receiver capable of 15000lbs non WD. I am confident the truck will tow the boat and if I take it easy I am guessing I will be fine. I was a little concerned about the class III receiver being the weak point in the link + I heard the NTSB is investigating failing class III receivers found on GM vehicles. This made the decision a no brainer! I will see how it tows and if I need to I will invest in a WD hitch to help balance the load.

I will take some pictures once I pick the boat up!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

if you are over your rated tow capacity insurance could be an issue if something happens. I have towed a 35 with an old blazer before but I was much younger
Old 09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I made it home. It towed really nice. I hit a few hills that made the motor work but it was expected. Here is a pic of a small truck and a big boat!
Attached Thumbnails estimated weight of 30' older boats-scarab_and_avalanche.jpg  
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Even I can tell you that you have way too much tongue weight, and those wheels and tires can't handle that weight! I think this is the equivalent of me towing that boat with my S-15 Jimmy.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
People will talk about insurance, but show me an accident claim where someone didn't do something "wrong". Insurance still pays even when their policy holder gets ticketed for causing the accident.
You're absolutely incorrect. There's a difference between an accident and a criminal act. If you miss a light and hit someone broadside, you're going to pay a fine. If you're drunk, you're going to jail. Last year a local mechanic was test-driving a car that he was working on and the steering wheel came off. He knew it wasn't bolted on- he didn't want to have to put it all back together to then have to reassemble it so he just slipped it on. He had an accident and someone was killed- the wheel popped off and he couldn't get it back on. He went to jail.

If your insurance does pay, that doesn't relieve them of the ability to subrogate against you. They'll write the check, then come after you themselves. They're not going to do this for $10K in damages. In a serious injury or death, you'd better believe they will.

Lastly, Insurance subrogation should be pretty far down the list of concerns for any reasonable, responsible person. Me- I want to get to the lake and back. I don't want anyone hurt or killed- especially my wife, one of my kids or a friend.

Originally Posted by Chart
The manufactuer's weight ratings, while a good idea, are for their warrenty issues primarily.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Not even close.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Well I made it home. It towed really nice. I hit a few hills that made the motor work but it was expected. Here is a pic of a small truck and a big boat!

Talk about the tail wagging the dog
Old 09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manufacturers weight ratings have very little to do with insurance. They are regulated by DOT and they are for saftey. Also lawyers look for simple little things like weight ratings, if you are over weight for your vehicle or trailer, you are liable, and in loss of life it doesn't matter if your insurance company pays out or not.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

The only good thing about that towing combination is that you are faaar away from me and my family when you tow. Seriously - get yourself an old dually for about $5K and tow it with. It will look far better than you are looking now... That combination you have now kinda look like a 400lbs woman on a moped... You know what I mean?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
Manufacturers weight ratings have very little to do with insurance. They are regulated by DOT and they are for saftey. Also lawyers look for simple little things like weight ratings, if you are over weight for your vehicle or trailer, you are liable, and in loss of life it doesn't matter if your insurance company pays out or not.
You're absolutely right. Your insurer will never ask you if your tow vehicle is rated to tow whatever you might own. There's nobody out there writing tickets for insufficient tow capacity. It's after little Susie is dead that her family's attorneys (or the local prosecutor) start poring through all the details- especially when they have a big insurance company AND a guy with assets and expensive luxury toys.

The jury gets to see pictures of little Susie's mangled corpse, tearful testimony from Mom and pictures of your "Cigarette boat". Plus they hear about every stop sign or speed limit you ever got caught violating. Then they pull in the reckless disregard on your tow vehicle.

You ain't gonna' win.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 09-24-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

to settle the debate, go to some scales with your truck and trailer......wiegh it......then pull around, disconnect and wiegh the truck by itself, then you'll have the true wieght of your boat.......takes about a half an hour......I did that, from what I had looked up and read about the boat and trailer I figured the rig would wiegh about 7500......I was only off by 2000 lbs

1989 29 Fountain twin sbc,steel tandem, half fueland all our stuff for a weekend (a real world load) 9500lbs......an eye opener to say the least.

Quick Reply: estimated weight of 30' older boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.