Notices

15K TOW, 4x4, 20MPG

Old 09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
I don't tow 15,000 pounds, but if I needed a dually to pull a boat with, I flat out wouldn't buy the boat.
Do you boat on a pond? I bought the boat to be fast and comfortable on the Chesapeake Bay - wasn't influenced about the tow vehicle.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

Ted,
As you've stated, you only want to tow a couple of times a year, and if so, a srw 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive will do just fine. I am currently towing a 38' Fountain on a triple axle Myco with a 2500 Chevy 4x4 crew cab diesel with a super chip. I get 19 mpg on the highway empty @ 65 or less, 9.5 towing the boat on the interstate @75 mph, and you can't tell its back there. Make sure you have a good trailer with good brakes, its more important than the truck. If you are towing on a regular basis and covering a lot of miles, then the dually would be better for the long haul.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Default 15k tow 4x4 20mpg

I have a dodge 3500 4x4 thats rated at 16k hitch towing. Without a trailer I average 21 mpg although I do have a bully dog with a a cold air intake.The dodge is a quad cab short bed. I get 12mpg towing a 15k fifth wheel with a bike trailer behind weighing about 2k and I don't even know it's behind me!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyhauler
Ted,
As you've stated, you only want to tow a couple of times a year, and if so, a srw 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive will do just fine. I am currently towing a 38' Fountain on a triple axle Myco with a 2500 Chevy 4x4 crew cab diesel with a super chip. I get 19 mpg on the highway empty @ 65 or less, 9.5 towing the boat on the interstate @75 mph, and you can't tell its back there. Make sure you have a good trailer with good brakes, its more important than the truck. If you are towing on a regular basis and covering a lot of miles, then the dually would be better for the long haul.
What does "how far" or "how often" have do with it? Does frequency or distance have any effect on towing ability?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

I am currently towing a 38' Fountain on a triple axle Myco with a 2500 Chevy 4x4 crew cab diesel with a super chip. I get 19 mpg on the highway empty @ 65 or less, 9.5 towing the boat on the interstate @75 mph, and you can't tell its back there. Make sure you have a good trailer with good brakes, its more important than the truck.
And just which "P" series tires are you going to recommend for his truck?

Donzi-If your boat spends most of the time racked or on a lift and you don't really want to buy a heavy truck, here's a couple methods that might help you. 1)Become good friends with someone who has a big enough truck to safely haul your boat those couple times a year you want to travel with it and take them on your trips and show them a good time. 2)If that's not possible check with the local marinas where you want to take your boat and see if they have anyone with an empty truck/trailer that you could hitch a ride with for a small fee, or 3)hire bgchuby01 to haul it for you on those occasions and buy the truck you really want for a commuter. You'll probably come out ahead in the long run, and so will anybody you contact as a result. Option one gives you the opportunity to introduce a new friend to performance boating. Option two gives you the opportunity to chum up with a few reputable dealers, one of which may have your next boat. Option three gets your boat hauled by an often highly-recommended member of this site who seems to have a very good reputation. Everybody wins.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted,
I have a Duramax dually that gets even better mileage. The problem is neither of us are rated at 15K with a tag-along trailer, this means NO INSURANCE if we have an accident. This is the reason I bought a new F450.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Donzi-If your boat spends most of the time racked or on a lift and you don't really want to buy a heavy truck, here's a couple methods that might help you. 1)Become good friends with someone who has a big enough truck to safely haul your boat those couple times a year you want to travel with it and take them on your trips and show them a good time. 2)If that's not possible check with the local marinas where you want to take your boat and see if they have anyone with an empty truck/trailer that you could hitch a ride with for a small fee, or 3)hire bgchuby01 to haul it for you on those occasions and buy the truck you really want for a commuter. You'll probably come out ahead in the long run, and so will anybody you contact as a result. Option one gives you the opportunity to introduce a new friend to performance boating. Option two gives you the opportunity to chum up with a few reputable dealers, one of which may have your next boat. Option three gets your boat hauled by an often highly-recommended member of this site who seems to have a very good reputation. Everybody wins.
My in-laws have a 2006 F350 dually that I have access to. However, they mentioned to me that they don't use thier 5th wheel camper that much and are thinking of selling it all. I am just looking in advance for a possible new truck. I use a pick-up truck pretty often in my construction business - just don't want to drive a dually everyday. That was the whole purpose of this thread.

The insurance thing is my main reason for towing with the right truck. Otherwise, I would be willing to take the risk and tow locally with a heavy duty SRW truck.

42MTI
Is the F450 a dually?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a nice daily driver and an older used regular cab 4x4 dually. kills both problems.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Whatever you get, throw some d's on it!

Quick Reply: 15K TOW, 4x4, 20MPG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.