Notices

Porsche Turbo Question

Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Turbo Question

Has Any One Out There Modified Or Know Any Thing About Doing Modifications To The 95-97 911 Turbo Porsches? I Have A Nice 97 That Has Developed A Seal Leak In Each Turbo That Allows Oil To Drain Into The Intake When The Engine Sits For A While. This Causes Alot Of Smoke When The Car Is First Started After Sitting For A While. I Would Like To Replace The Turbos And Intercooler With Better Pieces While It Is Apart And Whatever Other Bolt On Mods That Can Be Done To Boost Power Reliably. I Know These Cars Can Be Real Animals With Pretty Easy Mods But Every One I Speak To Wants Me To Drop The Car Off With Someone And Spend $10,000. I Would Rather Do The Work My Self And Save Some Cash--- Any Suggestions? Thank You In Advance.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRAPMAN1
Has Any One Out There Modified Or Know Any Thing About Doing Modifications To The 95-97 911 Turbo Porsches? I Have A Nice 97 That Has Developed A Seal Leak In Each Turbo That Allows Oil To Drain Into The Intake When The Engine Sits For A While. This Causes Alot Of Smoke When The Car Is First Started After Sitting For A While. I Would Like To Replace The Turbos And Intercooler With Better Pieces While It Is Apart And Whatever Other Bolt On Mods That Can Be Done To Boost Power Reliably. I Know These Cars Can Be Real Animals With Pretty Easy Mods But Every One I Speak To Wants Me To Drop The Car Off With Someone And Spend $10,000. I Would Rather Do The Work My Self And Save Some Cash--- Any Suggestions? Thank You In Advance.
Scrapman,

You may want to hold off hot rodding that particular car. The 993 TT's were only made in 96-97 (no 95 turbos) and the 97's are the last air cooled turbos so the collectors like those. These TT's were made post OBD-II so they were the first ones experimenting with that nightmare. I had a buddy recently sell his 98 Carrera S with 16K miles to a dealer for 85% of what he bought the car new for and this car wasn't even a turbo.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jupiter gives very good advice here.....

if you want to remove the turbo's and send them to me, i'll look and see what the problem is, we are a Master KKK, Garrett and Schwitzer warehouse and service center, so parts aren't usually an issue...

Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Registered

thanks for the responses -- i am aware of the collector status of these cars and i was only thinking of doing mods that dont alter the car in any way that cant be reversed with wrenches. i like the car and probably wont sell it at any time in the near future. Jim are the aftermarket turbos bolt-on units or no? Do you have any in stock? im assuming that the major reason for turbo upgrade is lighter internal parts for quicker response. im thinking you cant get too crazy with boost on a stock motor but ive been told up to 650 hp is possible without going overboard. any thoughts on intercoolers?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I don't handle any aftermarket stuff, I am an OEM KKK/Garrett/Schwitzer/Borg Warner warehouse for what came on the car from the factory, get me a part number off the turbo or the Prosche number and i'll see what I have or can get... i'd really like to look at what you have now, and see what the problem is, before we do anything.

Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Try to find a RUF intercooler & computer and good exhaust system. That should wake it rite up.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

www.rennlist.com the site is to Porsche owners what OSO is to boat owners
Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
www.rennlist.com the site is to Porsche owners what OSO is to boat owners
Bern that is an insult to OSO Steve....................Rennlist has classified ads still posted from 5 years ago. The site is good but not OSO good, maybe speedwake good at best.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

A puff of smoke when starting a cold air-cooled 911 is a normal characteristic. The longer it sits, the bigger the puff. If you are maintaining the oil level near the max mark on the dipstick, even bigger puff.

If your 993TT is a nice, low mileage, well maintained car and the smoke lingers for a few minutes make sure the engine mounted oil filter is of the latest version (I think the part number ends in .03). Also, you can update to 996TT style turbine oil feed pipes that contain check valves to keep oil from bleeding into the turbines' compressors. Turbokraft (602.481.0264) sells a set of oil lines that will do the trick.

If your car is worn out, you may need a more comprehensive set of solutions.

You may want to wait until you are due for a major service or your lower valve cover gaskets start leaking (about every 20K to 30K miles) to fit those modified oil pipes so your mechanic and your wallet can kill multiple birds with one stone.

Last edited by mosport1; 09-21-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Do your homework and dive in with the wrenches. We run two early turbos at PCA events and I've learned it's much better to wrench them yourself than to rely on your mechanic when it comes to modifications. Your motivation to make sure it's right far outweighs the 9 to 5er.

Quick Reply: Porsche Turbo Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.