Notices

'08 Tahoe suspension

Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the suspension package that you have on your truck your going to get a softer ride out of it. Chevrolet offers a couple of packages. If you were to have gone with the Z71 package you would have a stiffer ride. (more like a truck). The LTZ package is ment to be a little softer. I drive A 08 Tahoe Z71 and love the ride also I don't get the as much of the body roll your talking about. And you can't get the 20" wheels from the factory on the Z71.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Back to the chevy:
The track bars would not effect sway right? They locate the rear side to side. I guess soft bushings might let the rears wander a bit.
If you define "sway" as body roll, then you're right. But I'm guessing what's felt is more like a wiggle than a roll. Sway or stabilizer bars help with roll. But the wiggle that's felt in these 5-point suspensions is there because there's nothing really stout to locate the axle. All that keeps the axle located is trailing arms and a track bar; and it's probably chinsy stamped steel that you could twist with your hands. Stiffening those pieces makes a huge difference in feel.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30 outlaw 2005
With the suspension package that you have on your truck your going to get a softer ride out of it. Chevrolet offers a couple of packages. If you were to have gone with the Z71 package you would have a stiffer ride. (more like a truck). The LTZ package is ment to be a little softer. I drive A 08 Tahoe Z71 and love the ride also I don't get the as much of the body roll your talking about. And you can't get the 20" wheels from the factory on the Z71.

Considered the Z71, but didn't like the look of the rims and the fender extensions in that package. Liked the cleaner profile and 20" rims of the non-Z71 vehicle.

Could the shocks and other suspension components be swapped/upgraded with the Z71 couterparts?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
If you define "sway" as body roll, then you're right. But I'm guessing what's felt is more like a wiggle than a roll. Sway or stabilizer bars help with roll. But the wiggle that's felt in these 5-point suspensions is there because there's nothing really stout to locate the axle. All that keeps the axle located is trailing arms and a track bar; and it's probably chinsy stamped steel that you could twist with your hands. Stiffening those pieces makes a huge difference in feel.

Exactly! I'm not expecting a vehicle like this to perform well in a slalom course. It's the wandering side to side down the highway Chris referred to that is very noticable. The tires are Brigestones. This is a nice vehicle, but I think there is room for improvement in this specific area.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

Again, I still think how its driven has a huge effect on feel.
Joe,

Thanks for your input, but I'm not talking about competitive driving here. I'm talking about the wandering back and forth while driving straight down a double wide superhighway. I still have the BMW and a ZR-1 for when I feel like doing what you are referring to, and I have spent a lot of time around a track and driving schools. This IS NOT driving technique ...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

the body roll is harmless.

I just counter act the body roll with the throttle.

I drive my lifted, 1 ton diesel faster around turns than most drive their cars. Living in an area with tons of curves, and taking racing courses also helps a bit . The main thing is steering with the throttle.
BTW,

How old are you Joe? I work at a few trauma centers if you ever need anything ...
Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

By speeds, I mean 40mph in 35 mph turns, not 65 in 20mph turns.

I'm 25, have the SD and a turbo charged 5.0l.
No points, no tickets, no accidents, and I do not drive careless.
Also drive tow trucks, so I've seen plenty of careless accidents.

However, after re-reading that, it does sound pretty wreckless, sorry.

I wonder if my lack of feeling side to side way on the 07 suburban is due to having the wonderful vague steering of the ford super duty.

Last edited by Joe92GT; 10-22-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Considered the Z71, but didn't like the look of the rims and the fender extensions in that package. Liked the cleaner profile and 20" rims of the non-Z71 vehicle.

Could the shocks and other suspension components be swapped/upgraded with the Z71 couterparts?
If I am not mistaken they are larger shocks and sway bars. Trying to get that info. I don't think you will be able to do that. I think you also have autoride... The Z71 shocks would not work for that.

Either way that is one awsome SUV congrats on the vehicle. Any other questions please feel free to ask.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Registered

No points, no tickets, no accidents, and I do not drive careless.
Also drive tow trucks, so I've seen plenty of careless accidents.

However, after re-reading that, it does sound pretty wreckless, sorry.
Joe,

Glad to know. Always a little sensative to these issues doing what I do ...

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Chris
Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30 outlaw 2005
Any other questions please feel free to ask.

How long have you had yours and how many miles logged? Any issues to date?

Quick Reply: '08 Tahoe suspension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.