Notices

Surge brake question...

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Surge brake question...

I just bought a 32 ft Baja with Myco trailer this year, the surge brakes do not work, got the whole system cleaned and ready to bleed, No fluid? so I disconnected the line at the tounge and I can move the tounge in and out by hand and get no fluid at all, is that like a master cylinder at the tounge? How do you fix them?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have a fluid reservoir at the tongue of the trailer. I lost brakes on my Eagle trailer twice when the long line running inside the frame from the tongue to the axles wore through from vibration and lost all the fluid.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it a master cylinder and a small shock absorber to keep it moving smoothly. Sounds like a total replacement might be the way to go, they are not that much $$.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by RedDog382
You should have a fluid reservoir at the tongue of the trailer. I lost brakes on my Eagle trailer twice when the long line running inside the frame from the tongue to the axles wore through from vibration and lost all the fluid.
It was empty when I got it, I filled it and I was trying to bleed it, thats when I realized it was not working.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surge brakes, even when operating, aren't worth a $hit. If you have truck braking problems (like overheating) there's nothing to cause a surge and engage your trailer brakes.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Surge brakes, even when operating, aren't worth a $hit. If you have truck braking problems (like overheating) there's nothing to cause a surge and engage your trailer brakes.
That is true, but they would be better then the none I have now! I towed it 2 times just to use the boat a little I was fine with a F250 but I want brakes foe next year, not real safe without them.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Registered

I upgraded from drums to Kodiak discs on my trailer. Every part of the surge brake system needed replacement anyway.( MC, lines, dampners, etc). My boat and trailer is probably 8k lbs going down the road. I am extremely happy with the performance of the braking system, especially last night when a deer ran out in front of me, and it lived to run out in front of cars another day.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Default surge brake ques

Originally Posted by 245 limited
I just bought a 32 ft Baja with Myco trailer this year, the surge brakes do not work, got the whole system cleaned and ready to bleed, No fluid? so I disconnected the line at the tounge and I can move the tounge in and out by hand and get no fluid at all, is that like a master cylinder at the tounge? How do you fix them?
disconnect the safety chain and put a pipe on the cylinder and pump the brakes up that way. this takes two people to do this so take your time.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 245 limited
That is true, but they would be better then the none I have now! I towed it 2 times just to use the boat a little I was fine with a F250 but I want brakes foe next year, not real safe without them.
You have a point.

Let me re-phrase- if you're going to start spending money on your brakes, why not spend it on a safe, reliable system you can depend on?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I couldn't agree more, and I'll add that you can't control them independently or adjust them relative to the truck... but on a boat trailer, you're kinda' stuck with them. Electric brakes hate getting dunked in lakes, and most of us aren't using trucks with air brakes.

Quick Reply: Surge brake question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.