Notices

Any 7.3L owner using this?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian-
Joe pretty much nailed it. I run the 80 eco tune almost exclusively except when towing in hilly areas, and as a guess it probably has only a slight increase in mpg (maybe .5/.6) over other chips/tuners I've owned that would be equal in power output to that setting. It's pretty tough to keep your foot out of it, and it has been shown to dyno on several trucks at 100+/- The 60 tow is a nearly perfect tune for towing and I've never even remotely had an issue with EGT's at that setting- to be honest I've never seen 1200 degrees with the 80 eco either.
I think a lot of difference in DP is the smoothness it offers and its ability to keep EGT/boost in limits with the outstanding power increase it affords the 7.3. Kinda hard to explain, just my experience in owning serveral other tuners and chips.

I'm not an expert on why, but my best mpg increase in both 7.3 Excursions I've owned (nearly 2mpg) came from the tank/pre-pump, regulated-return fuel mods, HP oil crossover, and the use of 2-stroke oil/diesel kleen mix as a fuel additive (used in my TDI as well). Most folks that hear my X run can't believe there's a 7.3 in there- getting the air out of the fuel system and using the additive goes a long way in db level, smoothness and for whatever reason, economy.

The best economy with ANY 7.3 comes from keeping the revs at 2000 or less, which equates to 70mph in my X with its 3.73 gearing. I get 19.7 highway and 15.7 combined city. Towing is around 13 depending on hills and wind. I have 285 BFG's, no lift. Those numbers won't be possible with a 4.10 rear gear, especially in a dually, but that's almost a necessity with a bigger boat/load and hilly terrain. My mileage suffers greatly when only bumped up to 75mph.
For the record, I can't stand driving any 7.3 without some kind of program or chip- a 4 ton 7.3 Excursion is a dog without one. All of the tuners and chips are an improvement, I just think DP nailed it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input on this, I will be giving the folks over at DP Tuner a call tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
Thanks for all the input on this, I will be giving the folks over at DP Tuner a call tomorrow.
I spent some time on their website; very interesting stuff. I like how you can order exactly what you want ala' cart.