Notices

Tundra lovers: Dually diesel

Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do American consumers owe the American auto industry a purchase?

or does the American auto industry owe American consumers a product they want to buy?

Didn't the American Demming go to the American auto industry first, where he was unwelcomed? But he was welcomed by certain Japanese auto manufactuers. And they now call it the Toyota System.

Personally, it ticks me off to buy from people who feel "intitled" to my money, no matter if they are foreign or domestic. And it amazes me this concept of "patriotic loyalty" to 3 American HQed companies who themselves don't appear to be loyal to American consumers nor American suppliers.

FWIW: The vehicles currently in my driveway happen to American-assembled, by American HQed companies, with God only knows what percentage of American-made parts. But not because I "owed" the Big 3 something, but because they were the best fit for our needs and wants when we bought them. And that's the way it should be.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it seems that their concept truck should at least "work" I did less hacking building a V-8 Vega in high school. Yes it was American junk but would run 9.90 and street legal. It's all good as workers in Mylasia, China, India want to live better the workers will revolt as they are in India now, as companys exploit them they will get tired of it just like the industrial revolution was here, with child labor etc. You as Americans want your enviorment clean and pure for your children and familys, but you will support countries that poison their workers, the enviroment. a world market has your kids licking lead paint off of their toys!!!!!!!!!! So if your boss come in to your office in 10 mins and say's hay the country dictates that we lower their bill and he replaces you with a company out of China that would be OK right, bull and you know it. Go ahead Maryland Mark!!!!!!!!!!!! your turn!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marylandmark
LOL- I picked to be a "phone guy" because they can't offshore my job. Now all the support people and so on- they are steady being shipped to West VA which is the same as B-F-Egypt with more rain.

What I really want to know is how can the US export steel (heavy stuff!!) to China, them make some thing and then ship it back and sell it to us cheaper and better than we can make it here?

I can see that with silk or plastic- but steel???
I'm glad you brought up the concept of lower cost areas of our own country.

Re: Steel and heavy items: For the most part, container ships don't charge by weight, but by volume. Shipping bulky items tends to be more expensive than heavy items. My firm had domestic clients who made bricks and steel plates that were affected by low-cost imports of the same items, where as the clients who made golf bags and kitchen cabinets were not. At least until the foreign manufacturers started shipping them in "on the flat" aka dis-assembled, and finished assembled them here in the United States.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is a good looking truck. They've come a long way. But, if i were in the market, I would still probably run with a big Ford.

I have to say, the "Japs" comments seem pointless.
WWII has been over for 62 years.
And we kicked the shhit out of them. Get over it.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered

They learned from us, just overwhelm the other guy(IE dump your product) on them cheaper until the other guy goes out of business! Yes, we won that war but they have been beating us ever since. I can't wait till they start importing offshore boats, guess from your recommendations I'll be first in line. Oh and Mark I have had Verizon actually started with Richmond cellular back in 1983 still have the origional number, keep up the good work! Can you hear me now?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

I bought a Lexus several years ago which was the only foreign car I have owned. I bought it primarily because I met the owner of a large Lexus dealership and he kept dropping off brochures at my office over several months and finally convinced me to buy one. Overall it was a very good vehicle with essentially no repairs or other issues; however, I happened to own it during the September 11 crisis and aftermath. The statements I received from Toyota and Lexus descibing their "commitment" to the US were so weak and pathetic that I was embarrassed to be driving it. I have subsequently owned only US vehicles and have enjoyed similar quality.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Chris

Just for the record, if I still worked for a domestic car dealership, I would not enjoy my current lifestyle. Also go visit some of the "import" car factories here in the United States that employ thousands of Americans, and they will all tell you that they are happier and have better benefits packages than any union job could ever hope to offer them. This is a global world we live in today and thats why the domestics are dying. They have just stood by and let it happen.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cute truck.

P.S.
Are there any truck manufacturer's left that haven't copied Ford's double-post, dual-mirror design?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
I think the main thing that is killing the american auto industry is the unions. .
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner !! I've stated this here for the past many years. Keep going on strike for more pay and job security so you can be a dog phuck at work and not get fired. Drive the price of the north american made vehicles to the point where there is little profit to pet back into the product. not rocket science.

I hate unions, no use for them in this day and age. reword the hard worker, fire the dog phucker, and see what happens to the rest......
Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chart
Do American consumers owe the American auto industry a purchase?

or does the American auto industry owe American consumers a product they want to buy?

Didn't the American Demming go to the American auto industry first, where he was unwelcomed? But he was welcomed by certain Japanese auto manufactuers. And they now call it the Toyota System.

Personally, it ticks me off to buy from people who feel "intitled" to my money, no matter if they are foreign or domestic. And it amazes me this concept of "patriotic loyalty" to 3 American HQed companies who themselves don't appear to be loyal to American consumers nor American suppliers.

FWIW: The vehicles currently in my driveway happen to American-assembled, by American HQed companies, with God only knows what percentage of American-made parts. But not because I "owed" the Big 3 something, but because they were the best fit for our needs and wants when we bought them. And that's the way it should be.
Good point about Deming. If the american auto makers would have not been so pompass than we could have better manufactering techniques and practices, but the quesion for the ages is would the American Auto Union allow said auto makers to develop these "lean" manufacturing proceeses. My guess is no, not only could we have cut cost, improved quality, we probably would have generated more jobs because our auto sales would not be taken or absorbed by foreign auto manufacters. I remember reading a quote fomr a ignorant ceo of gm, it went something like this "what is good enough for gm is good enough for the world." I bet that schmuck is having fun eating crow today!

Quick Reply: Tundra lovers: Dually diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.