Notices

Toyota Diesel dually !!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo
I'm as loyal as I can be to North American products, but I'm an inspector by trade, and am VERY quality driven in my purchases.
We've dominated the truck market forever, but it's always within the realm of possibility that the Big 3 could be taken down if they continue to go down the path that cost them the passenger car market. The Big 3 employee's demands of off-the-scale wages, union dependence, and lack of attention to detail in the manufacturing processes has already shown a big impact on their ability to remain competitive.
American SUV and truck buyers still think bigger is better; bigger axles, bigger frames, bigger everything. Once the Japanese get their wheelbase and track up to the size of the American trucks and forget about this mid-size crap they've been building for decades, the Big 3 will be in trouble. Their engine building has always been impeccable, and if they complete the package, i.e. building 3/4 and 1 ton offerings (something they've never done), I would not hesitate to give them a look, loyalties or not.
I definately agree unions have put US manufaturer's at a big disadvantage. Seems some of the union autoworkers understand this. May all union members learn a lesson from eastern airlines...they deserved what they got...bled their company dry!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I hear Toyota has a recall on their tailgates, the metal is cracking? Support cables are pulling out of the sheet metal?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by WS402
Thats part of the problem . It doesn't help any of us when we give the foreign autos "a look" . What would your grandparents or greatgrandparents think about pulling up in a new "Jap" truck ? I can't even entertain the idea of purchasing foreign autos with a clear conscience . Just think how much stronger the economy would be if we had stronger support for the Big 3 ? C'mon People !
Sorry, but I'll continue to give ANYTHING that 'look' if its quality surpasses another. It's my money, and I'm not going to buy a piece of crap just to keep someone employed who has no intention of going to work in the morning other than to receive a paycheck! If a company builds crap, I'm going to recognize it, and simply won't buy it. I'm not going to give 'strong' support to the Big 3 or anyone else if all they have to offer is an inferior product. The Unions have a big hand in this! Loyalty has its limits- give me something in return, and I may come back!

I have no 'brand' loyalty in vehicle purchases either- I've owned vehicles made by a myriad of different manufacturers, and there are 6 different mfg's on the property right now. The ones that have given me the biggest problems (mostly related to lack of workmanship and out-sourcing for cheap parts in mfg.) are products of the Big 3.
As far as MY parents and grandparents are concerned (all Vets by the way), they were as quality driven as myself. They had no problems whatsoever what I showed up in their driveway in. I cut wood side-by-side with my grandfather up to his death in 1979, and the German-made Stihl was his weapon of choice. Why? It would work all day, was built with quality, and made to last. He also wore a Swiss-made watch. He commented to me after buying his last American-made car in '79 that "if they continue to slide downhill in the way they build these things, they're going to pay for it". As usual, he was right.
I still buy things that were made in America, and the quality is still there in some products, but an awful lot has slipped by the wayside in recent years. I do my homework, and have ALWAYS based my purchases on quality, not loyalty. On that, my conscience is clear as a bell.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a free country where we have the right to freedom of speech.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Maybe this competition in the full-size diesel market will make the big 3 produce a better product, not that it sucks right now...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
'09 F-150 will have an available 4.4L TD.
How do you know this?? Bout time someone put a small diesel in a half ton.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WS402
Thats part of the problem . It doesn't help any of us when we give the foreign autos "a look" . What would your grandparents or greatgrandparents think about pulling up in a new "Jap" truck ? I can't even entertain the idea of purchasing foreign autos with a clear conscience . Just think how much stronger the economy would be if we had stronger support for the Big 3 ? C'mon People !
My grandfather served and faught in/against Japan and he drove a Volvo. I can not remember him driving anything else. My father was stationed in Germany and my parents have owned Saabs ever since they got HOSED when owning a Buick and a Ford. The American cars left us on the side of the road dead more then we care to remember. Why is it that when my Ford truck hits 100K I want to sell it but when my Saabs hit 100K I feel like they are just getting broken in? My mother asked for a new Saab when hers hit over 200K and my father said lets go look at some american cars. She responded with thanks but I will keep the Saab. When I have my truck repaired it will sit in the dealership for at leaste a week, even for something simple like brakes. I have to pay for a rental the entire time that it is in the shop. When I have my Saab fixed they come and pick it up no matter were I am, give me another Saab to drive for free, and bring my car back when they are done.

The American car manufacturers can fix this themselves. They want the Manufac. from Japan to lower their quality instead they should be more proactive in making cars that consumers actually like. Then they need to get their dealers to learn how to treat their customers. I will spend my hard earned cash with who ever is working hardest to get it. That currently is NOT the Big 3. They still own the truck world but this certainly could change everything.

Last edited by Audiofn; 11-04-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I never owned any Toyotas but I actually owned two Datsun Z cars and they were terrible. Terrible engineering from the engine fuel systems to the structual design of the body. Body had rust through on both within four years. Although they did handle fairly well. Nissan refused to offer support even though the design flaws were smack in your face. So, they should be off my list for life right
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

Sounds like Toyota seriously considered going with a Cat engine....Could you imagine the reaction if they'd have done that..... I think they made a mistake by not doing it...all those guys with their Cat belt buckles, etc would not know what to do...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Sounds like Toyota seriously considered going with a Cat engine....Could you imagine the reaction if they'd have done that..... I think they made a mistake by not doing it...all those guys with their Cat belt buckles, etc would not know what to do...
Cat already sponsors toyota in nascar... i still wouldn't be surprised to see a Cat in the production version...

Quick Reply: Toyota Diesel dually !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.