Notices

Radar detector

Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I agree with all of this, I will admit I speed over the posted limit,. but try and stay no more than 5-8 over. The detector let's just say keeps me in line.
I try to stay within 10mph of the posted limit. In Texas that seems to be the agreed upon buffer before a ticket. It is very difficult to do with traffic moving @ 10-20 mph over. The whole reason to get the detector are these local speed traps. My wife just got a ticket in her old SUV when one of them pulled her over and said she was going 12 over. There were 2 others that actually passed her when she pulled over to the center lane to let them go by. There was a radar car and a chase car. When the chase car pulled her over, he actually agreed that she was not the one they were after, but was instructed by the radar car that she was the one speeding. He said that she would have to take it to court. They refused to go back to the radar car and show her the radar gun and marked speed. Here in Texas that will be at least 2 days off from work to fight it and can go to 3 days or more if the officer is not able to show up. It is easier to just pay it and go to traffic school to get it taken off your record. They bank on the majority of the people not being willing or able to take the time off from work. The funny thing is I have been driving for 35 years, and my wife for 30 years and we have never had a speeding ticket until moving here and both of us getting tickets within 1 year. I have always owned hot cars and trucks and probably the laws of probability just caught up with us. Not that I didn't deserve a few, but my wife is a very careful and conscientious driver.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
If they instant on'd the car 1/2 mile ahead of you, then you got the beep to, and by the time they instant on you, your doing the speed limit. If the gun is left on, forget it.. I'm at the speed limit well before the gun registers anything. Laser is the better solution for law enforcement, but it is still not widely used for some reason (luckily).
My passport has never failed with another car at least 1/2 mile away..... No traffic local cops are creatures of habit and use the same spots...........

The sticker comment from Enforcer. Went to work with my cousin and she forgot her RCMP official hat in my car. She let me keep it. I by accident left it on the dash of my car and could park anywhere even in the US parking ticket free, until I registered my cars in WA.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gerritm
We have a bunch of small communities that all have their own police force. Within a 20 mile stretch of road that I travel every day there are at least 7 different police depts. that patrol the main highway. This is one of their main sources of income. They don't use lasers, just old fashioned radar. These are blatant speed traps. I generally don't speed, but the detector is more to remind me to slow down. It is so difficult to fight a ticket today, that any edge that this detector gives me will be a big help.
My town is just as bad. If I make anti-Police comments I'm talking about my area only. The state trooper's use our town for in the field training. So they pull you over just to teach recruits traffic stops! WA has 3 levels of speeding, first range is 1 to 5 mph. Courts normally drop those. But one over the limit still gives the Cops probable cause. I've also ticked off the local PD and you don't do that when you have the only Porsche 928 in a small town!!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Enforcer2
I am a Trooper also and that is an embarassment to Law Enforcement CMON.......... your not seroius 1mph over???!

I can't tell u where I USE TO START stopping cars at but I can tell you......no where near............ not even close to that.

Training or not!!!!!!! Theres plenty of speeders and agressive drivers doing well over 15-20 and even 30-40 over the limit to be worried about 1-5 over. Unbelievable!
State courts website of revised code:
''46.61.405 & 46.61.410(2) 4Fine Schedule. The State supreme court is required to establish a monetary penalty schedule for traffic infractions. '46.63.110 Under this law, the court, via a court rule, has established the following fines for speeding offenses: 1 to 5 MPH over the speed limit-$20;
Hence why I'm using two radar detectors. I've been stopped at 4 mph over and ticketed. I set my cruise control at the speed limit until I'm out of this county. Outside though 10 to 15 that I'll admit about. I've been let off in that range because I'm polite about it and honest that yeah you got me Officer. Locals I ain't nice and I'll dispute them to the max.................... Scary when your not a lawyer or criminal and the court Deputies know me by name!

Last edited by Zudnic; 12-04-2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added the ticketed
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

Training or not!!!!!!! Theres plenty of speeders and agressive drivers doing well over 15-20 and even 30-40 over the limit to be worried about 1-5 over. Unbelievable!

One ofthe problems here is the small communities actually go into the residential areas to run the radar. I hate to say "Ticket Quota", but that is the reality. They can sit out on the main highways and pull people going 15-40 mph over all day long. It is bad when they are sitting on our residential street and pulling over locals going 5-10mph over in a 20mph non-school zone. If it was to slow traffic down or show a presence, that would be fine, but they give tickets not warnings. Everyone spaces out at times and the last thing you expect is a ticket outside your door.These are guys with way too much time on their hands. There is very little crime, so traffic stops is their main way of paying their salary.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Don't get me wrong either, my brother is a police officer with over 20 years and my nephew is a Coastie. I have done many ride alongs with my brother. I would love to do a ride along with my nephew on their boat out of NJ. We used to live in Long Island, Ny and Chicago area and all you had to have on your windshield was an FOP sticker or most of our Cop friends gave us Police Supporter, get out of ticket free, cards. Back to the subject of radar, it is just to keep our head in the game, which it is. Not condoning speeding, just want to warn us if we day dream a little.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, I understand. Take care and if you ever come out the East Coast look me up.

SEA YA !!!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

I run a Bell 840, it's older but it works like a charm. Typically I stay between 5 - 10 over. Instant on will always nail you, but around here they do alot of passive running. That you can pick up, because the gun sends out a ranging chirp, most detectors will record it as a weak KA signal. Once you get in range usually 100 to 200 yards it will light you up.

Best way to try and beat a ticket with radar is to ask for the calibration records on the gun. Most departments require a traffic enforcement officer to calibrate his gun before he goes out on shift. Does it get done all of the time? Of course not. It's a gamble, but it's better than nothing. They calibrate them with a special set of tuning forks.

Laser sucks.