Notices

Dodge 6.7

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 6.7

Does anybody have the new 6.7 diesel dodge? If you do have one, how do you like it and what kind of mileage are you getting from it?
Thanks,
James
Old 11-29-2007, 11:48 AM
jtmiller02

I just bought a new 5.9 2007 auto. I get around 15 but I only drive around town in New Orleans and I typically drive less than 20 miles a week in it.

I've heard lots up and down about the new 6.7, but most reviews are getting more positive with time. I definitely would have gone with it or a new Ford but didn't wanna pay more $ to test an unproven product and the repair costs on that ford with the cab removal issues i think could tank resale.

Overall i'm happy with it, the new Yes Essentials cloth seats are awesome. My brother's company Milliken makes the material in them. I spilled coffee on them once and it came right out. Also no static on the seats when you climb out. My 2007 chevy work truck shocks the hell out of me all the time.

I Haven't tried the leather seats but I've never been a huge fan of them in trucks as they typically wear out too fast for my taste.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

I do. There is a particulate canister issue with these trucks. Mine got clogged and left me stranded in the desert at 8K miles. There is a computer reflash they do but if the truck actually quits like mine did they retrofit the bigger canister off the cab and chassis model and flash the computer also. Other than that it has been great. Lots of torque and the 6.7 comes standard with an exhaust brake. My mileage is reading between 12 and 13 on the computer but really it is better than it reads because I have bigger tires on it. I have never actually calculated to get an accurate number. I am currently at 18k miles. The mileage should get better as it gets broken in.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

I don't think it's going to be much better then 12 or 13 mpg but that's what I'm here trying to find out. I need something that's going to be economical; however, still can tow.

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel
I do. There is a particulate canister issue with these trucks. Mine got clogged and left me stranded in the desert at 8K miles. There is a computer reflash they do but if the truck actually quits like mine did they retrofit the bigger canister off the cab and chassis model and flash the computer also. Other than that it has been great. Lots of torque and the 6.7 comes standard with an exhaust brake. My mileage is reading between 12 and 13 on the computer but really it is better than it reads because I have bigger tires on it. I have never actually calculated to get an accurate number. I am currently at 18k miles. The mileage should get better as it gets broken in.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

There is a thread going right now on this very subject. I can say, from most of the owners I have talked to and read things on, I am glad I got the old 5.9L
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=180241

Last edited by PJDiesel; 11-29-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Does anybody have the new 6.7 diesel dodge? If you do have one, how do you like it and what kind of mileage are you getting from it?
Thanks,
James
I have the new 6.7 Cummings in a 2500 4x4. I just turned 17,000 miles and have had no problems with it other than the smog canister sets off the check engine light. There is a recall on an O2 sensor and recalibrate the ECM. The dealer is waiting for the part to do the work. It has had no effect on my driving. They said don't worry about it as long as the check light does not flash. It resets itself after a day or two and has caused no problems.

I love the truck. I pulled my 42 Fountain EX to Florida and back about 1000 miles total and kept up with my 2 buddies in their Ford F250 Diesels pulling boats that are 1/2 the weight of mine. It does have a spartan interior, compared to the Ford, but I did not get the top of the line. The truck is still very tight and has no squeaks or rattles. Very heavy duty with the engine break and tow mode. I am getting 17 to 18 mpg on the on-board computer for an average. I paid 10K less than the same setup in a Ford or Chevy.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered

racerngr1 doin't know about the 6.7 but my 5.9 is great it has 86 k and i have not turned a wrench on it love my cummins o3 qc 4x4 6 speed . robbie
Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Thanks,
James
20k miles on the OSO 6.7 dually and love the truck. This is my third Dodge diesel and I think they get better with time.

I just did the recal on the sensor but it never acted up for me. There were some other recalls that effected some of the diesels but mine was not part of that so others that are having problem migh have had a different batch of motor than mine.

The diesel mechanic at the dealer gave me a long lesson on the do's and dont's with the new low emmissions motors. DO NOT idle them for long periods of time!! DO NOT ever run farm or marine gas in them!!

The truck has no mods, we do all the routine maintenance, and we don't do 0-60 time trials when pulling 15k loads.

OSO has owned a Ford, a Chevy, and three Dodges. The Dodge/Cummins is my workhorse of choice. The others like to visit the service advisor at the dealership too often.

I opted for the 3.73. gears instead of the 4.10 because we do so much highway traveling. We get 10-12 city and 15-16 highway. I would not base a purchase on that if you are using it as a truck you are gonna work.

Last edited by OSO; 11-29-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Registered

OSO, thanks for the advice from the mechanic about not letting it idle for long periods of time, that is something I did not know. I have the 3.73 gears the mileage has been going up steadily. I do a lot of highway driving for work. I try to run the Ultra low diesel, but the manual says you can run the low sulfur diesel if the ultra low is not available.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerritm
OSO, thanks for the advice from the mechanic about not letting it idle for long periods of time, that is something I did not know. I have the 3.73 gears the mileage has been going up steadily. I do a lot of highway driving for work. I try to run the Ultra low diesel, but the manual says you can run the low sulfur diesel if the ultra low is not available.
The new motors have a canister as we call it. That canister houses the soot from the exhaust and when the truck "regenerates" the canister gets super hot and makes the remaining soot like dust. I am using simple terms. The truck in order to get to the regenration point and the proper temp can not be from sitting at idle.

The mechanic told me if it is cold and you let the truck idle overnight or while the driver is sleeping it will cut off and you will be on the back of a tow truck headed to the dealer.

The manual says no long term idiling when under 60 degrees outside temp if I remember correctly. It does not apply to me as I live in Fl.

I would highly reccommend reading your manual and for those that hear terrible things about problems with these motors, I would ask the owners of the trucks what exactly they are doing when the problems occur. You might find a lot more user error than truck problems.

If you read some of the diesel forums they are very informative.

Quick Reply: Dodge 6.7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.