Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Fuel gauge stopped reading correctly >

Fuel gauge stopped reading correctly

Notices

Fuel gauge stopped reading correctly

Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge stopped reading correctly

'01 Yukon XL 2500
For a while it was stuck, then it dropped, then it actually started reading higher again...all with no fuel put in. I was rememberiing that whole "too much sulfur burning up the float" a few years ago. Got to what I figured was close to empty, within an hour the gauge finally started reading empty. Put in less than half tank, gauge went to 3/4.

I know GM gauges tend to be optimistic on the top half, then drop like a rock while burning down the rest. This is a float/electrical issue of some sort. Anybody have a picture of what it looks like?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
'01 Yukon XL 2500
For a while it was stuck, then it dropped, then it actually started reading higher again...all with no fuel put in. I was rememberiing that whole "too much sulfur burning up the float" a few years ago. Got to what I figured was close to empty, within an hour the gauge finally started reading empty. Put in less than half tank, gauge went to 3/4.

I know GM gauges tend to be optimistic on the top half, then drop like a rock while burning down the rest. This is a float/electrical issue of some sort. Anybody have a picture of what it looks like?
They also had gauge cluster problems with that year and up to 05. Possible that the cluster needles are giving you trouble. I recently got a notice from GM saying they would cover gauge clusters up to 7 years or 70K miles. I own 4 01-05 GMC's and only one had the cluster issue.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I just got that notice for my 03 2500 HD. It's going in next week.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

My '00 Tahoe does the same thing with the gas gauge -- fill the tank, it goes from empty to full to empty several times in the first 30 miles. Then it reads fairly well, until it's below 3/8 or so, then it goes empty for miles at a time. THe only fix is to replace the sender, which is part of the pump assembly, so it pays to replace it all at once.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

Thanks Andrew. How's things going?

Guess I'm gonna shop around for a new pump & sending unit. Can't wait to drop the tank...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey Michael -- still haven't seen you out on the water!

If you replace the pump assembly, go with a genuine GM/ Delco part... it's not a job you want to do twice. I did it on my 98 Tahoe, and I'm sure I'll wind up doing it again on my current 2000. My pump is starting to get flaky -- the check valve is bad in it, so the pressure bleeds down too fast... takes 2 times cranking it for it to start, except when it sits overnight...

If you need a hand give me a yell!
-Andrew
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Hey Michael -- still haven't seen you out on the water!
Rub it in...trust me, I know I haven't been out in almost two months. Still have some maintenance to finish which I've totally been dragging out.

On the fuel issue, yeah I'd stick with the OEM stuff. I've dropped a tank or two, but never a big truck tank. I'll just run it out of gas to make it easier