Notices

Calculating Toungue weight

Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Calculating Toungue weight

I have been making a lot of changes to my boat. Well yesterday while I was working on the trailer I realized that I have taken out so much weight that I now only have about 50 pounds of toungue weight. Is there any mathematical way to figure out how much I will need to move the boat forward? Or am I just better off moving forward and weighing?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow....seems to be so many variables in there that would almost have to play around at a scale.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Spare tires and a tool box will help, but will probably only net you 200 or so pounds. You are better off moving the boat forward and inch or so at a time.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

the ideal amount is 10% of the total for boat and trailer
Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ya the problem that I have is that I have no idea how much I am taking out of the boat for weight. I guess a lot more then I thought and I still have a lot more weight that I am going to be taking out. I am building new bunks so I was hoping to get it all figured out but I guess that I am just going to have to build what I know now and figure out the rest as the project progresses. I know that I am going to be adding a little bit more weight then I have in the engine room because I am going to BW trannies from the Merc Trans. and also going to blower motors.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I know that when I started all this I needed two 2 ton jacks to lift one side of the trailer. Now just one does it easily!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Banned

tow the boat and see how it feels, then you can move the boat back and forth until it feels right
Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Place a block under your trailer tongue so the trailer is level. Place said block on a scale big enough to handle the weight. Move boat back and forth until 10% of the total weight is showing up on the scale. Baddabing...perfect tongue weight for that set up.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Read the hitch! most say 1000lbs max!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Place a block under your trailer tongue so the trailer is level. Place said block on a scale big enough to handle the weight. Move boat back and forth until 10% of the total weight is showing up on the scale. Baddabing...perfect tongue weight for that set up.

That is easier than it sounds... I can only move the boat when it floats in the water and it can be one long a$$ process to go back and fourth to the scales and then drop the trailer tung on the scale for weight.
There is got to be an easier way to adjust and configure. I never really know what the tung weight is I go by how it looks based on the load level at the rear of my vehicle and how it pulls.

Quick Reply: Calculating Toungue weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.