Notices

Bunk location?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bunk location?

I am replacing the bunks on my trailer. The way the trailer is currently it has a set of bunks in the middle of the trailer. These bunks make a perfect V. I am wondering if the outer bunks should be just to the outside of the strakes or should I give it more room then that? The ones that were on there were not the same. One was up tight and the other was way to the outside.

Thanks
Jon
Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Should I try and line up the bunks under the stringers? This would put them just outside of the lifting strakes.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat manufacturer should be able to tell you exactly where the bunks should be.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Under the strakes and support the keel. I like a full-length keel board myself but a series of rollers will work well too
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I have the full length keep boards (well 2/3's up anyway and then two pair of rollers in front of that. These ones will be the outer ones.

The boat is a 79 so not sure how much help Formula would be on that one....
Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula has little info on the 302's, but good info on the 311's. I've always heard the outer bunks should either fit just inside the strakes on the vee, or under the strakes themselves. I think the first way is easier to load. Putting the bunks just outside the strakes would make loading very hard.

What did you find out about moving your boat to balance the weight?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks Chart. I decided to go outside the outer strake under the stringer. This seemed to give much more lateral sapport and I figured under the stringer was the strongest part of the boat? I kind of hope that the bunks in that area will allow the boat to kind of center itself on the trailer.

To move the boat forward it was actually very easy. I used two boat stands to raise the transom a little. Then just used the winch pull the trailer under the boat more. I moved it about 1 and a half feet forward on the trailer for now. I think it may have to go a little farther forward but I will figure that out as soon as I have the new power, drives, trannies, and all the work done in the bow/interior.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know my chine from a strake, but here's a couple pics to illustrate what I ended up with on my 311. The trailer came with the angled bunks. It obviously wasn't set up perfect when I got it, and it wasn't wide enough to move the bunks to the outside of the flat area (I tried). So I ended up moving them to the inside. It's working just fine except for the nose of the lower unit hits the bunk if trimmed all the way in.

When time & funds allow, the bunks will get flat tops (or replaced) and be moved so they sit under the flat section of the hull. I think that's the best for this hull.
Attached Thumbnails Bunk location?-000_0431.jpg   Bunk location?-main-bunk.jpg  
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks Handfulz: I think that the flat part on the 302 is a lot smaller then that. I will try and find a picture....
Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Not sure if you can tell from this one or not. I would be just to the outside of that strake in the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails Bunk location?-boatbackorig.jpg   Bunk location?-boat-prime-005.jpg  

Last edited by Audiofn; 01-03-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Bunk location?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.