Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread: >

Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Notices

Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is a Srw rated higher? Because of the GCW? I have a 2005 SRW 3500 and it is rated higher than the Drw. Doesn't make much since, but at least those are the numbers I was already thinking were my tops (when properly equipped).
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

stainless,

In my research, I have been told that you can't exceed the factory tag along hitch rating no matter what kind of hitch setup you have. What you can do, its put a stronger hitch receiver on that does to alleviate the Weight Distribution requirement, but you still cannot tow more than 13,000 lbs. on the hitch.

In order to get the max trailer rating that you mention, that would be for the gooseneck/fifth-wheel setup.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by baywatch
Why is a Srw rated higher? Because of the GCW? I have a 2005 SRW 3500 and it is rated higher than the Drw. Doesn't make much since, but at least those are the numbers I was already thinking were my tops (when properly equipped).
2+ years ago and older the SRW were actually rated to tow more due to less weight of the tow vehicle. You had less rotating mass, and unsprung weight. As of the past year or so, I have seen them be adjusted to the "right" way around.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Jupiter Sunsation;2423884]Those ratings are BS, the salesmen told me he knows a guy that pulls twice what those ratings say because he has airbags with a chip/tuner and is extra careful. QUOTE]

Same here. I was told the same thing years ago

Thanks Brian for the guidelines posted for all to read
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims
While this is a good guide, it is nothing more than a guide.
Uhhhh... Wrong.

These are manufacturer-set tow ratings, established by the engineers who designed the vehicles. These establish the limits of their capabilities. Exceeding them opens you up to all sorts of liability and gives your insurer the opening to legitimately say "no" to your claims.

If someday you find yourself in court defending a wrongful death suit against you, how would you explain that you established that your estimation of towing capacity was better informed than that of the manufacturer?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

under these guides, it states tbd for a gmc 3500 4wd drw. Is it possible to use the gcwr -truck weight and use a beefier hitch to up the tow rating? This is what i have been told by 2 dealerships as well as a large welding shop that has been doing heavy duty hitches for years.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stainless
under these guides, it states tbd for a gmc 3500 4wd drw. Is it possible to use the gcwr -truck weight and use a beefier hitch to up the tow rating? This is what i have been told by 2 dealerships as well as a large welding shop that has been doing heavy duty hitches for years.
On the 2008s, per the GMC website, it says the maximum you can tow via (any) trailer hitch is 13,000 lbs.

In order to go above that, you need to have a gooseneck or fifth-wheel.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/3500/specsCapabilities.jsp

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-10-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

thats with the stock hitch
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered

see the ** next to rating /on the bottom states max with standard equipped vehicle
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stainless
see the ** next to rating /on the bottom states max with standard equipped vehicle
So, with the standard hitch, you get the 7500 WC/13,000 WD rating; right?

What do you get if you get the Optional HD trailering package with the 2.5" receiver?

My understanding per my conversations with my old dealer/regional service manager were such that:

If you upgrade to a heavier duty hitch like the Putnam or Reese that can handle for example 13,000 lbs. as a weight carrying hitch; you could tow such as weight carrying. But if the new heavier duty receiver was rated for MORE than 13,000 lbs., it did not mean you could tow more than the original rating of the overall trailer rating. This had to do with the frame, not the hitch.

Quick Reply: Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.