Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread: >

Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Notices

Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Wasn't really trying to find fault. Just find it odd that this happens and most people are ignorant about it. I know a pintle can handle big weight and thought to myself why don't the trailer manufacture put them on these big boat trailers. So one question: How does a pintle get used in the hitch? The ones I have seen have a standard 2" square stock that goes into the hitch. Now like I said before the highest rated hitch I have found is the Putnam 16K. You mentioned have one built for the truck. Is that a standard practice on how to use a pintle with big weight? Also how would you go about a tow rating on one that was made? Not trying to come off the wrong way just trying to learn and others reading this may find it helpful too.
I completely understand where you're coming from.

The simplest way is to take your truck to a truck body company. Most sell other people's bodies and do the fabrication as needed. Others do theirs from scratch. To be blunt, it's Amish Engineering. They make this stuff so damn big and heavy, there's no possibility of it failing. You can use a pintle in a receiver but you're still limited by the hitch. Take a look sometime at the setups they use on tandem trailer rigs. How the pintle is mounted to the frame. That's what you need for pulling big weight.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is that you need a medium or heavy duty to pull over 16K with a pintle. Even the f450 (which is marketed as a medium but really isn't) is limited to 16K standard towing. It only goes up to 24K with gooseneck or fifth wheel. It is by far the highest rated "1 ton" on the market and is matched with the appropriate receiver if used with a WD setup. I have changed my trailer setup to be legal and it tows very well. Part of the reason is the integrated trailer brake, commercial tires and a very good trailer. I admit I have towed it with the WD system I used to use when I towed with a Class 8 truck and it towed well, but I wouldn't do it on public roads because it simply isn't legal, with all the liability issues beaten to death on all the preceding threads.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Wasn't really trying to find fault. Just find it odd that this happens and most people are ignorant about it. I know a pintle can handle big weight and thought to myself why don't the trailer manufacture put them on these big boat trailers. So one question: How does a pintle get used in the hitch? The ones I have seen have a standard 2" square stock that goes into the hitch. Now like I said before the highest rated hitch I have found is the Putnam 16K. You mentioned have one built for the truck. Is that a standard practice on how to use a pintle with big weight? Also how would you go about a tow rating on one that was made? Not trying to come off the wrong way just trying to learn and others reading this may find it helpful too.
I have researched this subject for a while as well. I contacted American Trailer Association and asked them flat out what kind of truck could legally pull my trailer (Myco 38 HTR) - no direct answer. I then called Myco and he started to give me the runaround and did not have an answer either. The max capacity for the trucks is sometimes listed as max weight and sometimes as max rating - big difference. I opted to make sure my truck could pull the actual weight in accordance with the manual and weights printed on the door sticker. The hook up I found is up to me and as of now, every component has a higher capacity than what the truck will ever tow. This game is out of control and I think the DOT/DMV wants to keep it that way.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered

ok also if the truck is say 14,000 on the tag and you put a 20,000 pound trailer on it you need a CDL your over 26001 your at 34 so check the combined weight
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered

ok as far as i no the truck rating is not the sam as the hitch if the trailer is 10,000 then you need a hitch ratted 10,000 the truck GVW on the tag could be 9,000 so add 9,000 and 10,000 for the trailer your good for a gross load of 19,000 so again as long as your combined is less than 26,000 no CDL over 26 you need a CDL. So if the truck waighs 7000 the trailer say 3000 plus the load 10000 your at 20,000 you need a heaver truck thats good for 10,000 GVW so your not over your combined gross weight

Last edited by Thebros; 04-25-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Registered

To be legal and without concerns about insurance denying a claim, you need every component to meet or exceed limitations AND you need a CDL if combined weight is 26 K or over.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Those ratings are BS, the salesmen told me he knows a guy that pulls twice what those ratings say because he has airbags with a chip/tuner and is extra careful.

I actually looked up my truck to see if the 12K I thought it could pull conventionally was correct and it was.

OK, the key phrase here was using air bags, a tuner and be extra careful??? These all sound like compensations for a truck that wasn't meant for the job in the first place. Would you want to pull a $300,000 boat down the road trying to be exxxxtra careful, so nothing bad happens...sounds like a pretty foolish risk with your investment and a salesman that was try'n to sell a lesser truck. IMO

Last edited by scarab kv; 11-20-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Another good resource for GM vehicles:

http://www.drivetrain.com/GMtrkratio_posidata.html
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

2008 Towing Guide Link:

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/di...wGuide0801.pdf
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian is the hitch on a 2006 Dodge dually a Class III or V? It looks kinda wimpy to me...

Quick Reply: Read this for almost all ANSWERS on TOW RATINGS before you post another thread:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.