Notices

Options on Trailers

Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options on Trailers

Getting ready to order a new trailer and there are a few options that are available.

Xtra spares
Tool Boxes
Elect/Hyrdro breaks
Painted Alum.

What does the group think about tool boxes and double spares? I'll be going with Elec/Hydro. brakes so this is a gimmie for me and I'm ordering one spare. Are the tool boxes really worth the added money? Do you really use them? I carry most everything I need in my truck? I know it's safe but has anyone ever needed 2 spares?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Getting ready to order a new trailer and there are a few options that are available.

Xtra spares
Tool Boxes
Elect/Hyrdro breaks
Painted Alum.

What does the group think about tool boxes and double spares? I'll be going with Elec/Hydro. brakes so this is a gimmie for me and I'm ordering one spare. Are the tool boxes really worth the added money? Do you really use them? I carry most everything I need in my truck? I know it's safe but has anyone ever needed 2 spares?
BBY, yes, we have needed two spares at one point but I think it was more the exception than the norm. One of the guys we travel with still had bias ply tires () on his trailer. One failed and then less than an hour later another failed. In August, traveling between Louisiana and Destin so it was extremely hot too.

Personally, I have always thought I would like a tool box on my trailer but as you said, I typically carry everything I need in the truck.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Registered

I put boxes on my trailer and love them!!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blue by You

Xtra spares
Tool Boxes
Elect/Hyrdro breaks
Painted Alum.

I have a Myco tandem dually with a big, nice, locking toolbox, but with a 47 stepped hull, on some ramps it is necessary to immerse the rear of the box to get the boat off the trailer, and everything in there gets wet. Unless you are consistently on good ramps for a big boat, I would recommend keeping the tools in the truck.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I have a tool box on my trailer and have found it to be quite helpful. Carry a jack, hub assembly, tools, etc. etc. which leaves more space for stuff in the truck. I also have 2 spares. If you have anything smaller than 16" 10 ply tires you will at one time or another need those spares--and I think 2 is better than one. It's always better to be safe than sorry--IMO.
Jay
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

all four items you talked about are good. you can never have enough help. also look into having the spares mounted on spindles with a full bearing set so if you drop a bearing you already have the parts with you. as for painting that is up to you to look at bare aluminum or the color you choose.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

2 spares are a must, from My experience any way!! and that is why I ordered 2 with my new trailer last year!! Cheap piece of mind.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Always carry 2 spares and have used both. With the larger size /load tires you can't always find one quickly. We travel at night for the most part and we've blown a tire late, changed it and then blew another before sunrise. We had to go through some paving work earlier on and the trailer kept coming on & off the raised new pavement area. It shifted the belts around in the tires and they separated -two on same side, without two I would have lost a whole day - just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 spares are a must,and the tool boxes come in handy and you'll be glad you got em
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote two tool boxes and two spares. I have blown two on the same trip. Spec 10 ply tires.

Quick Reply: Options on Trailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.