Notices

Fort Lauderdale hitch install

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fort Lauderdale hitch install

Bought a 99 Tahoe that doesn't have the factory tow package installed. Needs to be able to handle boat and trailer which is about 5000lbs. Anyone know of the a reliable after market hitch and a shop that can do the work? American RV & Marine? OR should I just make sure it is done right and get the GM factory package installed?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Uhaul does them cheap. They use Reese hitches and since you are towing a small setup (5K) they should be qualified.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
Bought a 99 Tahoe that doesn't have the factory tow package installed. Needs to be able to handle boat and trailer which is about 5000lbs. Anyone know of the a reliable after market hitch and a shop that can do the work? American RV & Marine? OR should I just make sure it is done right and get the GM factory package installed?
You can't have too much hitch.

Buy a Putnam XDR from www.putnamhitch.com . The GM factory hitches are definately not top quality. They may get you by for 5000 lbs, but there are better options out there that are cheaper. The Putnam hitches are not expensive.

They are also not hard to install at all. You can do it yourself in your driveway in about 2 hours with two tall jackstands; or any camper and/or truck accessory place can do it in less than an hour. The longest task will be removing and replacing the spare tire. You frame is pre-drilled and any hitch that is matched for your truck will be matched to those holes.

No matter what hitch you buy, make sure it gets installed with Grade-8 bolts, and not Grade-5 bolts. Unfortunately, the Putnam ships with Grade-5 bolts, so I recommend swapping them out before install.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Uhaul does them cheap. They use Reese hitches and since you are towing a small setup (5K) they should be qualified.
Is the setup okay for long hauls? I keep the boat in Cleveland for the summers and then tow it down in the winter to Fort Lauderdale. So the truck will be making some heavy long hauls at least twice a year.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You can't have too much hitch.

Buy a Putnam XDR from www.putnamhitch.com . The GM factory hitches are definately not top quality. They may get you by for 5000 lbs, but there are better options out there that are cheaper. The Putnam hitches are not expensive.

They are also not hard to install at all. You can do it yourself in your driveway in about 2 hours with two tall jackstands; or any camper and/or truck accessory place can do it in less than an hour. The longest task will be removing and replacing the spare tire. You frame is pre-drilled and any hitch that is matched for your truck will be matched to those holes.

No matter what hitch you buy, make sure it gets installed with Grade-8 bolts, and not Grade-5 bolts. Unfortunately, the Putnam ships with Grade-5 bolts, so I recommend swapping them out before install.
Do you know if they have a dealer in the Fort Lauderdale area?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is definitely a DIY job if you have a few tools. If you have a little time, either order a nice Putnam (check Ebay also) or shop Uhaul. I bought a hitch from Uhaul for my ex-GF's Ford Escape and installed it myself; they actually had a pretty good price. Either Uhaul or a local parts store should also provide you with an easy wiring harness kit that should just plug in.

What part of FLL are you in? I'm sure there's a few of us local OSO'rs that could lend a hand if needed.

Oh yeah, if you want to shop other local suppliers you can check out Ideal Automotive in Ft. Lauderdale, possibly L&L Distributors in Pompano, Speed & Truck World "might" stock some hitches.

Too bad you got a '99 (old style right?). I've got an OEM hitch for the '00+ collectinig dust in my shed.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
Do you know if they have a dealer in the Fort Lauderdale area?
I know you can buy the hitch direct, but I am not sure about their dealer network. If you buy direct, they will have it at your doorstep in a couple days.

Here is the contact region map, and I pulled up the contact info from the SE region for you. This guy should be able to find someone for you. (From here: http://www.putnamhitch.com/business_contact.html )
Attached Thumbnails Fort Lauderdale hitch install-untitled.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
This is definitely a DIY job if you have a few tools. If you have a little time, either order a nice Putnam (check Ebay also) or shop Uhaul. I bought a hitch from Uhaul for my ex-GF's Ford Escape and installed it myself; they actually had a pretty good price. Either Uhaul or a local parts store should also provide you with an easy wiring harness kit that should just plug in.

What part of FLL are you in? I'm sure there's a few of us local OSO'rs that could lend a hand if needed.

Oh yeah, if you want to shop other local suppliers you can check out Ideal Automotive in Ft. Lauderdale, possibly L&L Distributors in Pompano, Speed & Truck World "might" stock some hitches.

Too bad you got a '99 (old style right?). I've got an OEM hitch for the '00+ collectinig dust in my shed.
I'm near Vistamar Street and A1A. I will need to have a shop install it for me because I am currently in Cleveland and need it done before Saturday.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/

Not a bad place to start. They have a location on Broward Blvd which is where I bought my ex-GF's hitch. A quick search on their site shows hitch prices of $120-130 and you can get a 7500lb hitch it looks like.

Search their site, decide which one you want and call 'em to see if they have it or whether they can get it before Saturday. You might even be able to schedule an installation appt. The install should take no more than an hour.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/

Not a bad place to start. They have a location on Broward Blvd which is where I bought my ex-GF's hitch. A quick search on their site shows hitch prices of $120-130 and you can get a 7500lb hitch it looks like.

Search their site, decide which one you want and call 'em to see if they have it or whether they can get it before Saturday. You might even be able to schedule an installation appt. The install should take no more than an hour.
Cool thanks. I just got off the phone with the dealer he says they have a Uhual off the Corner by them in Hollywood and can get it over there for me to have the hitch installed. Sounds like this is the most efficient route for me, as long as it will be able to handle 1200miles of towing of 5000-6000lbs. Any comments?