Notices

duramax or power stroke?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I have a completely stock 2008 f450 with a 4.88 rearend. It is the only one ton that legally tows my boat (or even comes close). I have about 6000 miles miles on it and get just over 12 mpg (not towing) with everyday driving. It is quiet and smooth and has enough power to pull uphill. A friend of mine tried to tow my boat with his 2006 Duramax with a Bullydog chip, aftermarket intake and exhaust and oversize wheels and tires. He lost significant speed on a relatively shallow hill and barely made it up coming away from the lake. Also, that thing is way too loud!
Thank you,,,,mine will be here in 2 weeks just sold my 08 dirtymax this morning
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

Talking Adequate?

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Your ford experience is not adequate with current engines unless you have some 6.0l models. 7.3's are a great engine, up to 01 ford had the best truck engine, and trans. 02/3 chevy kinda had a lead, and pulled away ever since especially when the 6.0l cames out and dropped all over the road w/issues.

Lets not forget the machining issue in a whole years worth of transmissions that caused every one to blow up, and sit for months at a dealer because there were no replacements available.

I do drive a 2000 f-350 with a 7.3, and have driven and worked on all the model duramax's and fords/dodges.
My 05' PSD has 97k miles...perfect track recrd. My father & I bought our trucks the same time; his 05' F250 PSD King Ranch has low miles but no trouble either. So maybe that isn't everyone's opinion, but it is mine and it is adequate enough.....
Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I have a completely stock 2008 f450 with a 4.88 rearend. It is the only one ton that legally tows my boat (or even comes close). I have about 6000 miles miles on it and get just over 12 mpg (not towing) with everyday driving. It is quiet and smooth and has enough power to pull uphill. A friend of mine tried to tow my boat with his 2006 Duramax with a Bullydog chip, aftermarket intake and exhaust and oversize wheels and tires. He lost significant speed on a relatively shallow hill and barely made it up coming away from the lake. Also, that thing is way too loud!
think about this. ? you have 4.88 gears he has 3.73, and then he just lowered that with larger tires . you should have a signifiant advantage
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spilman
Well at least you aren't afraid to state your opinion....however, you are in the minority. I have heard of problems with a few of the Ford diesels, but my experience has been exceptional. I've owned 7 Fords since 99' with no trouble; 1 million combined miles and still haulin'.
BTW, I have owned a couple Chevy trucks in the 80's & 90's and that is why I prefer Ford now....everyboby has their own experience with each manufacturer...Ford is the winner here.

There was supposed to be a grin at the end of that post, now fixed. I enjoy the ribbing as long as no one gets too serious, I'm a buy American first kind of guy and would drive a Ford or a Dodge before I would ever consider a foreign owned manufacturers truck. Dodge is just returned to the North American fold so it's back on my potential list

Of course I could and probably will post pictures of the two 6.0's we have towed home ,this past 3 months:
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
My 05' PSD has 97k miles...perfect track recrd. My father & I bought our trucks the same time; his 05' F250 PSD King Ranch has low miles but no trouble either. So maybe that isn't everyone's opinion, but it is mine and it is adequate enough.....
Ford finally figured out the 6.0l in 05/6, still some issues with the variable vane turbo sticking if you don't drive the truck hard like you should, or often. If I were to buy a newer ford, it would be an 05/06 HD edition.

The 450 is a great idea, and ford could do it easily. They have their lower medium duty truck line sharing the same body as the 350's and 250s so it was really just a matter of getting the bed to fit clean to make the 450, and a bunch of other techincal stuff I'm sure.

450 has much larger axles, brakes, suspension and frame than a 350. I've worked on a few of the older late 2000s models.

semi off topic, has anyone seen the new 08 Harley davidson superdutys? That is a beautiful truck, almost good looking enough for me to consider dealing with a 6.4.. 58k dollars though.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kennyo
Didn't you read the part about being retarded.....
Actually....I am not illegal as hell. The trailer is registered as an RV so I am not bound by the 26K guidlines. I was told that by a tennessee commercial enforcement guy....right or wrong that is good enough for me....since he is the one who writes the tickets around here for this type of stuff. I am sure there is some state that it is not legal in but I do not have any problems in TN. The truck has been over gross one time when I pulled the trailer with all the tanks full with three machines. Most of the time I fill up when I arrive and dump before I leave.....and yes, I have sewer where I four wheel before everyone gets on the soapbox of illegal sewage dumping. Most of the time I only carry two machines and if I leave the big one at home I can still roll with the water full. So, your saving the world with your insurance in tact and protecting the rest of us in your infinate wisdom is great.....but don't assume that you are the only one doing or trying to do the right thing. Everything I have is insured to the hilt and I carry a multimillion dollar liability umbrella on top of that. What is riding inside even has seperate polices on it. Evidently I did risk it all being over gross on the truck to find out if the dmax would outpull the 450......the only reason there was not more weight in it then 27440.....was because I could not get the boat inside the trailer.....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kennyo
Didn't you read the part about being retarded.....
Kenny, you are just mad because you totalled the Ranchero with only 6,000lbs behind it as you were searching for your maximum GCVW of another ford product. How'd that werk out fer ya??.......Oh yea.....NOT TOO GOOOOOOOOD! I don't care what anyone says, I dont think that the fact that you were looking for the perfect radio station to suit your mood before you went to sleep had anything to do with the ensuing "baja bomb" that went off. You do get the bananna peel receiver hitch explosion award. The funny thing is.......after the crash.....you were back within spec on your GVW....as your "cargo" was scattered across quite an expansive area.....come to think of it.....I am not the only one who has "towed like a retard" before....., you looked like one of "jerry's kids towing a baja" trying to get home that night....ahhh...the memories....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

With its 6.4L displacement and dual-sequential turbochargers, this Power Stroke® V8 turbo diesel cranks out a maximum 350 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque.

DURAMAX 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8, B5 Biodiesel-compatible. Requires Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission.
365 hp/660 lb-ft torque

The Cummins® Turbo is an inline 6-cylinder diesel engine that produces 650 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600 RPM and 325 horsepower at 2,900 RPM from 6.7 liters of displacement. With Common-Rail Direct Injection, this is one quiet diesel engine. Cummins is a registered trademark of Cummins.

Motors are so close, in my opinion its the trannys that make the difference

Myself I love Allison. She will always get you up!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Actually....I am not illegal as hell. The trailer is registered as an RV so I am not bound by the 26K guidlines. I was told that by a tennessee commercial enforcement guy....right or wrong that is good enough for me....since he is the one who writes the tickets around here for this type of stuff. I am sure there is some state that it is not legal in but I do not have any problems in TN. The truck has been over gross one time when I pulled the trailer with all the tanks full with three machines. Most of the time I fill up when I arrive and dump before I leave.....and yes, I have sewer where I four wheel before everyone gets on the soapbox of illegal sewage dumping. Most of the time I only carry two machines and if I leave the big one at home I can still roll with the water full. So, your saving the world with your insurance in tact and protecting the rest of us in your infinate wisdom is great.....but don't assume that you are the only one doing or trying to do the right thing. Everything I have is insured to the hilt and I carry a multimillion dollar liability umbrella on top of that. What is riding inside even has seperate polices on it. Evidently I did risk it all being over gross on the truck to find out if the dmax would outpull the 450......the only reason there was not more weight in it then 27440.....was because I could not get the boat inside the trailer.....
My insurance carrier has a STUPID/IGNORANT clause that disallows/cancels my coverage if I have an accident while towing a boat,RV or whatever the f#ck I'm hauling down the road and my rig is over the stated GCVW,,, believe me on this because I've been there, If you have a challenge/accident with your set-up, some shark/attorney will blow so many holes in your 'RV' excuse you wont know what hit you. Your umbrella policy probably doesnt kick in till 500k, your primary carrier will divorce you ( mine did ) so the first 500k is on you IMHO
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDARCHER
PJDIESEL sweet looking Dodge with the 24 inch wheels. Still the best looking body.
22.5's, 24.5's are just about obnoxious looking. These fit nicely with NO lift, no rubbing whatsoever.

Quick Reply: duramax or power stroke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.