Notices

H2 Add on trans coolers

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H2 Add on trans coolers

I know there are others here that tow with their H2 as well.. I am just curious as to if any of you have upgraded the existing trans cooler. If you have did you add on or replace it & how big did you guys go?? I have done some upgrades on past tow vehicles of mine & would like to do this as an extra precautionary measure. Also NO I am not towing some 38' beast long distances with it.. I just want to keep the heat in the tranny to a minimum..

Thanks.. Jamie
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a B&M Supercooler, forgot which model number, that I'll be adding in-line with the factory auxillary/external cooler. The B&M piece I got came with all the fittings/hose. It's about 6"x10".
Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.. That is kind of what I was thinking of doing as well & mounting it in front. The other thought was to get an even larger cooler & just adapt the lines & replace the original cooler completely. I had done this in the past on some of my other vehicles. My main concern on this one is the space inbetween the existing cooler & the framework in front of it.. There isnt a hell of a lot of space to deal with. Jamie
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an experience a few years ago with big transmission coolers. We had a shop truck that got used pretty heavily. To ensure we didn't smoke the already-under-engineered 4L60 transmission, we added one of those giant B&M transmission coolers. Long story short, the transmission tech that rebuilt it a few months later told me that because the fluid temp never got up to normal range, it prevented the trans from going into lockup. That caused slippage under load which hastened its demise.

This was on the lighter transmission to start with and I don't know this temperature thing to be gospel, just relating the situation.

Is there a thermostat available for these coolers?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Do yourself a favor and add a full shift kit too.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Is there a thermostat available for these coolers?
I imagine an oil thermostat could be adapted. Luckily I have a trans temp gauge and can monitor that. Down here in FL extreme cold is rarely a problem but I figure a thin sheet of clear plexi could be fabricated to cover the cooler (or a portion) and help manage temps. Gotta have a gauge to see where you're at though.

Jamie, check out ls1truck.com There's probably a fair bit of info there and maybe pics/descriptions of how others did it.