Notices

Transmission help??

Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission help??

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 4X4 Z71 93,000 miles

Last night I was driving home and heard a thump then felt my truck bounce in the rear end. Next my tac shot to 6000 so I hit the brake to turn off the cruise control and figured I had busted my rear end. When I stopped I checked and everything looked fine. So I easily started back down the road and 3 miles further it happened again. I stopped the truck and realized I did not have forward or reverse. I used 4 wheel drive to make it to a house to call for help. (Left cell phone at home) I had the lady there put the truck into reverse while I laid under the transmission and it was a terrible sound trying to go in and even worse going back to park. We towed it home and noticied the fluid was 1 quart low. So I added a quart and tried it out again. It ran fine last night. I probable put 5-7 miles on it and never had anymore trouble. Could the low fluid level cause that much of a problem then just go away?

My four wheel drive light has come on and off for six months but has worked fine. My 99 chevy did the same thing before I traded it for the GMC.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skeed UP
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 4X4 Z71 93,000 miles

Last night I was driving home and heard a thump then felt my truck bounce in the rear end. Next my tac shot to 6000 so I hit the brake to turn off the cruise control and figured I had busted my rear end. When I stopped I checked and everything looked fine. So I easily started back down the road and 3 miles further it happened again. I stopped the truck and realized I did not have forward or reverse. I used 4 wheel drive to make it to a house to call for help. (Left cell phone at home) I had the lady there put the truck into reverse while I laid under the transmission and it was a terrible sound trying to go in and even worse going back to park. We towed it home and noticied the fluid was 1 quart low. So I added a quart and tried it out again. It ran fine last night. I probable put 5-7 miles on it and never had anymore trouble. Could the low fluid level cause that much of a problem then just go away?

My four wheel drive light has come on and off for six months but has worked fine. My 99 chevy did the same thing before I traded it for the GMC.
I dont know about the tranny, but the 4x4 light is a bad solder connection on the board at the switch, I had the same problem('01 Z-71), wife was driving 70 over the seven mile bridge while I rested, I looked over, and it said it was in 4 wheel drive, I freaked, had her slow down,. and pull over after the bridge, so I could confirm it wasnt really in 4 wheel. I resoldered the board, and havent had a problem with it since(4 years).
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Transfer case problem.

Sam
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Registered

Thanks. Whats that gonna run me $$????
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened to one of mine. Snap ring came off in the transfer case. Best bet- find one in a yard- it's an easy swap.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

www.car-part.com
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Skeed UP
Thanks. Whats that gonna run me $$????
Depends upon your transfer case. Should not be more than 1k.

Sam
Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Registered

GM has had problems with encoder sensors in the transfer case. This sensor tells the 4wd module what range the transfer case is phisically in. If it is giving a false position indication, it may try to shift it, thus shifting it into neutral. Sounds like what is going on. If there is no other damage in the transfer case, I would say replace the encoder sensor. If you need the GM bulletin or some repair instructions, PM me. I will send you the GM info.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for help guys. I drove it 11 miles last night to my friends shop. I was 300 yards away at a stop light waiting for it to change. When I tried to go, she never moved. Had to use 4 wheel drive to get to his shop. A$$ behind me would not stop blowing the horn so i flipped him off. Turned out to be my brother screwing with me.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Thats why I HATE push button 4wd. I will choose a lever on the floor any time over a button.....but its just the way the trim levels are now offered by manufactures.

Quick Reply: Transmission help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.