Notices

Powerstroke 6.0 missing

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, my injectors worked sometimes and then they didn't. It was like an intermitent miss. Did that both times, and both Ford Dealers, one in Flordia and the other time here in Jersey, said thats how injectors act when they are going bad. They said they are worse when cold, but mine were just the opposite. I found if I was easy on the truck they were fine but when pulling boats if I went over 60 or 65 they started acting up. Truck runs good with the new injectors but I still have a shaking under hard acceleration, especially when towing. Feels like the torque converter, but someone said it could be another bad injector.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same exact thing happen to mine - as bowtie said, it's the injectors. Check to see if you're getting a lot of white smoke out of the tailpipe - that's another symptom.

About $3k for a set of injectors and labor, I believe.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Probably a stuck EGR. The injectors pretty much work or they don't. It's easy to clean and shut, then either search this forum or on dieselstop and look at defeating it. Depending on year ('03, some '04) you can remove a butterfly for additional benefit.

Being under warranty, you may want to have a new EGR installed, then definitely defeat it. Truck runs better and you eliminate the sticking problem.
Thanks again for giving the heads up must be almost 2 years ago. I'm a clumsy mechanic and broke the wires while "fixing". Has never been a problem since, so have not bothered playing mechanic again and dealer also keeps forgetting to plug back in...............................
Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Oh ya, forgot about that. Mine hasn't worked in a long time.

See here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=egr
I'm still running fine. Only change oil and all filters (fuel) every 3,000 miles or so.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered

Took it in today said it was needing Egr and new fuel filters, then got a call back a little later and said they had no EGR in stock so cleaned mine and test drove and it quit on diesel tech 3 blocks from dealership, frame mounted fuel pump went out. New fuel pump was put on and new filters. Seems fine now. The only thing is that the fuel pump and EGR they said was covered under warranty with $100 deductible and that if my EGR failed again they would have one in stock by then, but I will probably argue if it does anytime soon that I should not have to pay deductible again because if the EGR would of been in stock it would of been replaced also under the initial $100 deductible. I must of gotten some bad fuel as I had just had them change both fuel filters about 4,000 miles before this issue came up.
Thanks for the replies...
Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja bailey
EGR would of been in stock it would of been replaced also under the initial $100 deductible. I must of gotten some bad fuel as I had just had them change both fuel filters about 4,000 miles before this issue came up.
Thanks for the replies...
Follow the directions in the other thread. I did this around 07-23-2006 and never had another EGR problem again! My od has stopped turning at over 160K miles of hard use........ I off road mine and I'm not careful! I beat the chit out of it!
Attached Thumbnails Powerstroke 6.0 missing-img_0324.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
Chris, my injectors worked sometimes and then they didn't. It was like an intermitent miss. Did that both times, and both Ford Dealers, one in Flordia and the other time here in Jersey, said thats how injectors act when they are going bad. They said they are worse when cold, but mine were just the opposite. I found if I was easy on the truck they were fine but when pulling boats if I went over 60 or 65 they started acting up. Truck runs good with the new injectors but I still have a shaking under hard acceleration, especially when towing. Feels like the torque converter, but someone said it could be another bad injector.
I've never seen an intermittent-when-hot issue with a 6.0 injector. Have seen some that do act up when cold though.

As far as your shake on hard accel, have your motor mounts checked- a common problem. Also, if you've raised the rear at all, you probably need to drop the tailshaft to get your pinion angle back to where it needs to be. The 3" factory F250 blocks raise it enough to cause the problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

Cool Right Here!

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Where is Spilman? He has over a million trouble free miles on 1/2 dozen Powerstrokes............ This thread is blasphemy!

I'm busy putting more trouble-free miles on my beautiful Super Duty!!!...LOL

Seriously, I replaced 3 injectors on my 99' F350 PSD @ 223k miles...and the symptoms were similar to what you described. My roofing sub has a 2000' 7.3 that has 140k and just had 2 injectors replaced. We bought that truck used in 06' & it was used for pulling horses for 93k miles so I expected to have some wear issues. Small price to pay for the best built, best towing, best all-around trucks built.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Chris, that was my first thought, motor mounts. Then I read where someone said the shaking was normal on Fords and was the torque converter. But the tech said they aren't usually a problem. I guess I'll check motor mounts. I haven't lifted it so that isn't the problem.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped off my '04 F550 at the dealer on Tuesday morning with 97K on her. I complained off the same symptoms that you had.

1. Sometimes 2 kicks to crank her over in the morning. Rough idle for 15 seconds with the cab shuddering back and forth. Loud knocking and greyish styrine smelling smoke.

2. The first 20 miles of rolling out, there is a "piston slap" feel like only 6 pistons are firing from 40-60 MPH. Loss of power and hesitation when you step on it.

3. Trans will not shift in to 4th sometimes when getting on to the freeway. If I pull over and stop, she will down shift/upshift fine for the rest of the drive.

This is a babied work vehicle that has to be reliable everyday for me to make my appointments. Extra service and preventitive maintainance precautions have been executed. The techs still have the truck as of Friday morning with a replaced turbo and EGR valve. I was hoping for injectors after reading the cost of replacement. Trans looks like a service and shift sensor? Trans techs are still scratching their heads? Still in rental vehicle. I will keep you posted with results.

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails Powerstroke 6.0 missing-memorial-weekend-07-pantera-ride-008.jpg  

Quick Reply: Powerstroke 6.0 missing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.