Notices

Nitrogen in Tires?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitrogen in Tires?

Anybody use it? I can fill my trailer tires for about 2 bucks from a bottle in my garage. I figure it can't hurt, the aircraft industry has used it in tires for years. Doug
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. I wonder how the PSI fluctuates when you dunk the warm tires in cold water? Nitrogen should take car of that and keep the PSI more constant.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

I buy my Excursion and Ranger tires at Costco. They use it for all their tire installs. Does seem to hold tire pressure better as in longer.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Go for it - I can't imagine any negative side effects.

Also FYI - usually when tires are filled with Nitrogen the stem caps are Green to prevent someone putting Air in Nitrogen tires and vice versa.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The air in your tires is 78% nitrogen already. There's 20% oxygen and 2% trace gases. Nitrogen molecules are larger than O2 so they don't escape between the molecular structure of the rubber in your tires. But, not many O2 molecules do either. Consumer Reports tested the ampunt of leakage- the advantage of nitrogen over compressed air was just over 1 pound of pressure lost over a 1-year period.

Aircraft use pure processed nitogen because it's clean and inert. It absolutely eliminates the possibility of contaminants being in the tire (oil, water, etc- all common in compressed air). They're not worried about 1 psi loss in a year. They check their tires regularly.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottom line is, it certainly doesn't hurt anything, but the benefit is minimal. The difference is virtually unnoticeable, unless there's a leak, in which case, nothing will help indefinitely. But for 2 bucks, what's it matter? Go for it.

And as Chris said, with regards to a/c the concerns are more with corrosion prevention, eliminating airborne contamination and especially humidity...at altitude, the air temperature is about -70*F so there's no tolerance for moisture and freezing.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few customers that use it in their low profile semi-trailer tires because they run at a constant temp and it doesn't have the heat build up running at 70mph like using air does.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I was just at a Chrysler dealership and they had stickers on all the cars in the showroom saying that they had nitrogen in the tires and that could save you up to 5% in fuel... anyone ever hear of this?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RBT
I was just at a Chrysler dealership and they had stickers on all the cars in the showroom saying that they had nitrogen in the tires and that could save you up to 5% in fuel... anyone ever hear of this?
Well, ya, there may be some truth to it....

It's true that a properly inflated tire will roll easier and net you your best mileage, and it's also true that tires will leak over time, simple fact of life.

So having said that, if nitrogen escapes the tire at a lesser rate than atmospheric air, then it would lend itself to reason that a nitrogen-filled tire will retain it's inflation pressure for longer, thus for the average person that doesn't check their tires (they rely on their dealer to do it every time they're in for an oil change), it should over time provide better mileage.

*However, and this is important, given two tires - one with atmospheric air and the other with nitrogen - that are both inflated to the same pressure, there will be no difference. Pressure is pressure, regardless of whether it's air, nitrogen, or methane, and it's this basic pressure that provides the tire with its rolling properties.

Thermodynamically, the ratio of specific heat - the heat capacity of a gas in a constant pressure process divided by the heat capacity of a gas in a constant volume process of both Nitrogen and standard atmospheric air is roughly 1.40 so there won't be any realized benefits of temperature modulation as a function of load or range with one or the other.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

here at my shop all our tires get nitrogen motorcycles , trailers , rods

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.